What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Mounting at Outboard Bracket

Jamie

Well Known Member
2005-02-26.506.jpeg

Can someone please confirm for me that I have the flush-head rivets here on the right side of the mounting bracket (my brackets weren't pre-assembled like most others I've seen)? The plans say that the flush heads go on the outboard side, but it doesn't make sense to me, since it also looks like the plans have you mount the aileron pushed almost all the way outboard with a washer between the powder-coated bracket and the mounting bracket. This doesn't make any sense since it seems that the shop head of the AN426AD4 rivets would create an interference issue.

Does someone have more detailed pictures of the attachment here? Why do they have you put the flush head on the outboard side? Am I missing something here?

(note that I haven't done any shimming or anything yet...I've just thown the aileron on the wing temporarily.)

Thanks,
Jamie

Ail Brkt

I remember having the same question. I looked at my installation. I have 2 washers on the O.B. & 1 washer I.B. with exactly .25 in gap between the Aileron & flap. There is still clearance on the I.B. side with the shop head. I would think that you could use 2 washers I.B. if clearance were an issue. Maybe it's an appearance issue since you might be able to see the Shop Head if it were O.B. I'm going to try to attach a pic. If it doesn't work, I'll send direct email.

Derrell

Bracket

Jamie:

You flush heads are in the correct spot and oriented correctly. As you swing the aileron to the up position, you'll notice the powder coated bracket swings over those rivets; thus the flush head.

Here's a picture of mine (btw, mine weren't preassembled). Note the washer combination is already in place. I actually could probably do with one less washer on the outboard side.

I hope this helps.

Bob
St. Paul

bracket.jpg

Back