What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynofocal I engine mount

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
Looking for advice, for a friend, from the experts here. My friend has a Bucker Jungmann (exp) with an O-360 with a dynofocal I engine mount. He had to remove his engine for overhaul, and when he did, he discovered one of the Lord mounts were not seated fully in the cup of the dynofocal mount. On further inspection, he found a crack in the circumference of the engine mount cup around it?s periphery. He had that welded. The gussets on the cup were intact, as were the welds on the ring part of the dynofocal mount. However, after two days of frustrated attempts, he can?t get the engine to line up with the mounts. He?s not inexperienced, and he has an experienced A&P, who has done this before, working with him. What he is looking for is a set of dimensions/blueprints/jig, or any kind of details on the dynofocal I engine mount. His Lord mounts are the aerobatic mounts meant to this airplane. They are much smaller in diameter than what we use on our RV airplanes. He has 4 fully threaded bolts that he plans on using to pull the mount to the engine (mount is off the firewall at this point), to see if one of the mounts is off. We are suspecting one of them is, due to the cracks in the perimeter of one of the mount cups that didn?t align originally. (Current owner didn?t build it - he recently bought it).

So having detailed drawings, or blueprints, or a jig we could borrow, would be greatly appreciated. We suspect one of the mounts is off, and would have to be re-welded, after removing the gussets on that mount.

Any help you could offer is appreciated.
Thanks,

Mount

A good starting point would be to put the mount "nose down" on a perfectly flat surface and see if all the cups contact the surface. If one is out more than 1/8" he has a major problem. Any idea who built the mount??

He has tried to contact the gentleman that used to build mounts for this airplane, but he is an elderly guy and hasn?t returned any of his calls. I?ll have him try what you suggest on a flat surface.

I did a quick search for dynafocal ring dimensions with no success... so...

Maybe a way to determine how bad the misalignment is,
-bolt the front half of the insulators to the engine,
-without the aft half of the insulator there, position the mount up to it and see what is not lining up.

If one socket needs repositioning,
-fabricate some facsimile wooden insulator pucks, both front & aft puck shapes copying the rubber ones.
-cut misaligned socket and it's connecting tubes loose
-bolt the mount up using your wooden puck assys to the well aligned sockets (hopefully 3 positions) on the engine.
-bolt the 4th mount socket using your wooden puck assy to the engine.
-reposition the attaching tubes and tack in place, final weld.
-with everything still bolted up, play the torch over the whole assy to normalize any induced stress out of the mount structure.

This would be a way to rebuild the mount using the engine as a jig, if you cant find plans to use.

Back