What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Weight and Balance

Tsabean

Spent some time looking through the archives and there is plenty of discussion about this topic. I'm installing an O-320 with a C/S Hartzell prop. I'm at the stage of installing a PC 680 Odyssey battery. I'd like to install it on the firewall but I'm concerned it might put the c of g too far forward so am considering mounting it in the baggage compartment. Most flights will be solo and aerobatics will be conducted. Anybody flying this combination have recommendations on where to locate the battery?
Thanks, Tom

I have an IO-360, whirlwind prop(29 pounds), and a christen inverted oil system. My PC-680 is mounted just behind firewall and my CG is within a 1/4? of where vans recommend it.

Weight a minute...

Spent some time looking through the archives and there is plenty of discussion about this topic. I'm installing an O-320 with a C/S Hartzell prop. I'm at the stage of installing a PC 680 Odyssey battery. I'd like to install it on the firewall but I'm concerned it might put the c of g too far forward so am considering mounting it in the baggage compartment. Most flights will be solo and aerobatics will be conducted. Anybody flying this combination have recommendations on where to locate the battery?
Thanks, Tom
Tom,
I would plan on aerobatic CG weights based on 1/4 fuel in both tanks with the "Heavy Hartzell" out front. Then you can locate to battery on the firewall with no issues.
More fuel preferred? I would put it inside the center console if yours has been left free of clutter, instruments etc.

V/R
Smokey

PS: The RV4 fuel load can be adjusted to move the CG to your liking or a heavy backpack can be strapped down in the backseat. If you like a light nose, no flywheel effect and simplicity, sell the Hartzell, buy a Catto.

Tom,
I would plan on aerobatic CG weights based on 1/4 fuel in both tanks with the "Heavy Hartzell" out front. Then you can locate to battery on the firewall with no issues.
More fuel preferred? I would put it inside the center console if yours has been left free of clutter, instruments etc.

V/R
Smokey

PS: The RV4 fuel load can be adjusted to move the CG to your liking or a heavy backpack can be strapped down in the backseat. If you like a light nose, no flywheel effect and simplicity, sell the Hartzell, buy a Catto.

During our airshow routine I lead a high powered RV8 in a climb to reposition and more than once I have been told that he has a hard time climbing with me...0320 RV4
FP. Of course thats at my best climb speed...
And I have a Catto 2 blade set up I could sell..:)

Just saying..:)

Cm

Empty weight

970lbs 0320 160 hp 1030 hrs

I have a sensenich GA prop. Set for best cruise.
I get my best climb rate at about 125kias above 5000ft DA

When i do the airshow i usually have full tanks but no less than 24 gallons onbd

The cs rv8s out accelerate me and are faster in level flight. For me to do formation loops on their wing is a major exercise for the lead. Lol
Cm

i have a 360 with a hartzell metal constant speed. I use a sealed LA in the stock location and my empty CG is forward of the limit. my 4 requires 212lbs in the pilots seat to get it back into the cg range. with a lighter pilot I would have to add weight in the back. good thing i havent weighted less than 212 since jr high school.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Hi Chris,
It?s tough to do formation aerobatics between a fixed pitch and a CS prop airplane. I have been doing a lot of formation aerobatics with a sonex. The performance difference between the aircraft make it interesting, especially going over the top on maneuvers. I sure hope he buys an RV soon😏

Cs prop / fp formation loops

Hi Chris,
It?s tough to do formation aerobatics between a fixed pitch and a CS prop airplane. I have been doing a lot of formation aerobatics with a sonex. The performance difference between the aircraft make it interesting, especially going over the top on maneuvers. I sure hope he buys an RV soon😏

Michael,
Im the only RV 4 on the team and fixed pitch prop. We all had to pass a formation acro eval to get our endorsements so I had to be able to do it well...took alot of practice and critique..

I have mixed feelings about putting a CS prop on my plane..

https://youtu.be/p82GzcjpRKc

Cm

Cool video. With a CS prop, it seems the plane will decelerate on the upside of a Maneuver faster than the fixed pitched will, and on the downside of that maneuver it seems a constant speed will accelerate faster than the fix pitch prop will. It looks like in the video the airplane that you were flying wing on has a constant speed because he was pulling away from you on the downside of the maneuvers. That is what happens when I fly with the fix pitch sonex as well, so it’s nice to know it’s not me. I wish you lived locally.

Back