What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bill of materials for tank fuel return line(s)

Draker

Well Known Member
I am not sure what my engine choice will be yet, but I think it would be a good idea to provision for a fuel return now while building the tanks just in case I need it later. I can always cap it off if I don't use it, correct? Does anyone have a materials list for these lines? I would assume it's similar to what's used for the vent, but larger:

* Some length of 3/8" soft aluminum tubing
* 6D flare nut and sleeve
* 6D bulkhead elbow and nut
* 6D spacer??

Since I'm planning to go dual flop tubes for fuel pickup, I can likely use the flare hardware already shipped with the standard wing kit, and only need to order the tubing and bulkhead hardware. Am I missing anything?

Is there consensus on how far to run the fuel return? Forum search shows some builders running it to the 2nd bay and some running it all the way to the most outboard bay. Is there consensus on which is better? I would think farthest from the pickup would be best, no?

I've been considering doing the same, since I am building my wings as well. I'd be interested to see what folks suggest for plumbing.

My -06 return line enters the tank through the inboard end near the top of the tank. Inside the tank, the line continues outboard and makes a 90 deg turn forward (just before the first rib) where there is a T fitting about 2/3 from the rear of the tank. The forward (fuel goes straight through) port simply dumps fuel into the forward portion of the tank. Another -6 line is connected to the outboard side port which takes fuel to the outboard bay. This arrangement supports the tubing and fitting. Fuel is dumped into the first bay when there is headspace above the fuel (less than 3/4 full tanks). If the first bay is completely full, fuel takes the path of least resistance to the outer bay (in theory anyway) near the vent tube.

Bevan

Thanks for the idea, Bevan. So you've got the capability to dump in both the first and last bay. What's the theory behind wanting to dump into the inboard bay first?

For completeness if anyone is actually using this thread to order parts, don't forget plastic snap bushings to go through the ribs: 5x BUSHING SB500-6 for 1 tank or 10x for both.

I just modified my tanks for the return line and dumped the return in the first bay. No bulkhead fitting needed this way, just use a standard AN union with a bulkhead nut on the inside.

I have just had to answer this question for myself and this is what I came up with. I am planning on attaching a VA-112 (which is for fuel testing drain) and inserting an AN816-6-2D into it. The fitting mentioned is supposedly supposed to go from 3/8" tube to 1/8" pipe thread which matches up to the threads on VA-112. The plan is just to cap the fitting unless I need it. I like this method as you don't have to worry about a bulkhead fitting spinning and causing a leak. I am also not concerned with going to a further bay as many people dump into first bay with success.

Back