What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baja flying

kaweeka

Well Known Member
Has anyone flown to Baja California lately?

I am flying my -9A from Sacramento to Cabo April 10-20 with a planned stop in Mexicali for customs and fuel, then another fuel/bathroom stop in Loreto and finally on to Cabo for a little R&R.

Please PM or email me as I would really appreciate going over things to make sure I am spot on with all my paperwork and know what to expect.
Many thanks,
David

Has anyone flown to Baja California lately?

I am flying my -9A from Sacramento to Cabo April 10-20 with a planned stop in Mexicali for customs and fuel, then another fuel/bathroom stop in Loreto and finally on to Cabo for a little R&R.

Please PM or email me as I would really appreciate going over things to make sure I am spot on with all my paperwork and know what to expect.
Many thanks,
David

I?ve never been, but it sure sounds like a lot of fun!! I?m looking forward to a full pirep just as soon as you return. :)

It has been many years (more than 20) since we were there, so take this for what it's worth.
We really liked La Paz ( a few nm north, on the sea of Cortez) better than Cabo. A lot of nice little restaurants, more Mexican fewer tourists.
As you know, fuel can be hit or miss, but should be available at the airports you mentioned. At smaller fields they may not take credit cards.
I recently learned that Mexico is enacting (has, or will?) ADSB requirements. Most likely mode S-ES transponders, only. You might just check that out, see if or how it applies to you.
Unless the rules have changed, which is certainly possible, Mexico did not allow VFR at night.
Back then, you were advised to have insurance written by a Mexican company; I think that's no longer true, but check.
Be ready to have your airplane searched on returning to the US.

I was in Mulege and Lopez Mateos last week for a Samaritan’s trip.
We cleared and exited at Guaymas and then crossed the gulf. Fuel was about $4.00 gal cash pesos.
Rumor was that San Felipe didn’t have fuel for about a week but eventually got it.
We entered once last year at Loreto and it was 45-60 minutes each to clear and that was with a Multi entry pass already. Guaymas takes 2-3 minutes.
Mexico now requires 406 ELT, but honestly I’ve never been asked about it.

We did El Fuerte and the Copper Canyon train to divisadero in January with 12 airplanes and that was a blast.

Last edited:
The ADSB requirement of 1090ES first won't be in effect until 2020. But I believe that it won't actually be required in Mexico, but it will be required to pass thru the ADIZ. Thus the "international" requirement of 1090ES.

Loreto

Flew to Cabo a year ago January. Did Laughlin, NV to Mexicali, customs was no big deal, but unless it changed, you have to file both US and Mex eAPIS as they did not talk to each other. We stayed at the Mission Hotel for 3 days in Loreto, great place and lots to do and see, next time we?ll stay longer. Was out first time to Cabo, nice to see but could not go in the ocean. Go up to Acre for supper and evening, really cool place.

A few things I learned so far...

1) I will clear at San Felipe rather than Mexicali. Folks who fly often (Baja Bush Pilot members) advised this is an easier path. I got the phone number and email of Daniel Padilla, who runs the airport. Excellent English and absolutely loves to help out. I'll call to make sure there's fuel 2 days prior to leaving.
+1 526862097740‬ [email protected]

2) They are checking for the 406 ELT and I was advised to have documentation for it. (Glad I just put one in)

3) Documents say you don't need a Mexican policy but after reading mine, Daniel noted a paragraph that states "This is not a Mexican Policy" even though my coverage includes Mexico. I opted to not push the issue and purchased a policy for $125 through Shanna at Gallagher. (This is a vacation and I don't need to create stress!)

4) I want to take along a few quarts of oil, some tools, a PLB, first aid kit and would like to know what anyone suggests as a necessity to bring along.

I have a GoPro on the tail, one in the cockpit and a 360Fly under the right wing. I hope to make something watchable from all this.

David

Baja

David,
I fly down the Baja as far as Loreto several times each year, along with trips to the mainland.

Just in case no one's mentioned this, I would highly recommend joining Baja Bush Pilots and using their eApis system. It works very well and is automatically filed in both countries. Plus, there's a wealth of info and services available through them. Just the forum alone is worth the price of admission. I'm constantly scanning the threads to make sure I keep aware of the goings-on in Baja, especially as they relate to pilots and airports...

With regard to insurance, there is no reason to purchase Mexican insurance as long as your current policy shows Mexico as a covered territory. I have emailed Daniel my ins. info many times without even a comment. In fact, it has never been mentioned, and i've checked in at San Felipe (the best), Loreto, Hermosillo, Los Mochis, and Puerto Penasco many times. All I take with me (or send them ahead of time) is the declarations page and the page showing Mexico as a covered territory. That's it. Since you've already purchased Mexico insurance, no big deal, but I wanted you and others to be aware for the future. In fact, if anyone needs a copy, I have a letter from the Mexican government (Nota Informativa) stating that as long as your current insurance covers Mexico, a separate Mexican policy is not required. I have never needed to use it, but I keep it in my "Mexico paperwork" envelope just in case...

Enjoy Baja!

Kurt

Loreto / Cabo

Did that trip last year but stayed 3 days in Loreto, and wish we stayed longer. The Mission was a nice hotel and reasonable value. A lot of history there, and everything is close and nice walking. If you are looking to lay on a beach, then may not be right for you, but the snorkel/dive excursions around the small islands have nice beaches.

When in Cabo go for supper / evening at Acre (http://acrebaja.com/) great food and an all round neat place.

David,
I fly down the Baja as far as Loreto several times each year, along with trips to the mainland.

Just in case no one's mentioned this, I would highly recommend joining Baja Bush Pilots and using their eApis system. It works very well and is automatically filed in both countries. Plus, there's a wealth of info and services available through them. Just the forum alone is worth the price of admission. I'm constantly scanning the threads to make sure I keep aware of the goings-on in Baja, especially as they relate to pilots and airports...

With regard to insurance, there is no reason to purchase Mexican insurance as long as your current policy shows Mexico as a covered territory. I have emailed Daniel my ins. info many times without even a comment. In fact, it has never been mentioned, and i've checked in at San Felipe (the best), Loreto, Hermosillo, Los Mochis, and Puerto Penasco many times. All I take with me (or send them ahead of time) is the declarations page and the page showing Mexico as a covered territory. That's it. Since you've already purchased Mexico insurance, no big deal, but I wanted you and others to be aware for the future. In fact, if anyone needs a copy, I have a letter from the Mexican government (Nota Informativa) stating that as long as your current insurance covers Mexico, a separate Mexican policy is not required. I have never needed to use it, but I keep it in my "Mexico paperwork" envelope just in case...

Enjoy Baja!

Kurt

San Felipe is one of my favorite places to vacation in Baja.. How is the runway there? As many times as I've visited that little city, I've never checked out the airport. Los Cabos and Mulege are definitely on my short list one of these days too!

I'd also appreciate a copy of the Nota Informativa to [email protected] when you have a moment.

Thanks!

Doug

David,

Enjoy Baja!

Kurt

Hi Kurt, Maybe this is a dumb question, but did you have to have your policy translated to Spanish first??:confused:

English documents are fine. No need to translate anything. There is always someone at the airport who speaks english. From my experience, the airport officials go out of their way to make your arrival / departure a pleasant experience. However, it IS Mexico, and they have their ways... There's a bit of a shuffle between offices when you arrive and depart: Immigration, Customs, flight plan, paying for fuel / landing / parking fees. It takes a bit of time and patience, but they are pretty efficient in San Felipe. It's pretty easy to get in and out of there in 1/2 hour or less.

I always remind my newbie passengers that we are now in Mexico. Time slows down here. That's one of the reasons we go. Sometimes it takes a day or so to get used to the pace. But when you do, you start to enjoy it and realize just how hectic the pace is here in the US.

to answer Doug's question, The runway at San Felipe is good. It's just paved with asphalt. It's aged a bit, so the surface is not a smooth as a new one, but it's not all cracked so as to damage a tail wheel or anything.

Happy Baja flying!
Kurt

Tacos De Pescado Por Favor!

David,
Good advice above joining the Baja Pilots assn. I flew a Cessna 180 with 24” AK Bushwheels the length of Baja twice avoiding pavement and “facilities”.
Some items of note:
1. Carry a gallon of fresh water (or more)
2. PLB and signaling devices, first aid kit, MRE’s.
3. Bag of Candy for the Federalis (most are kids with various weaponry)
4. Leatherman and mini tool kit. (I bought a mag and spark plugs.)
5. Handheld VHF, Satphone.
6. Brought a hunting Bow with arrows for “fishing” came in handy.

Stop recommendations?
1. Mulege for certain, Hotel run by a gringo is bueno, has RO water so salads are safe.
2. Laguna San Ignacio and Bahia Soledad for Whale watching.
3. Landed on beach next to whale carcass to observe Coyotes Grande’ walking in and out after gorging themselves. Yum...

Most importantly have a plan for contingencies and survival.
:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: Mexican (and Bahamas) insurance addendums are as good as the paper they’re printed on IMHO. Good luck collecting...

Last edited:
Back