What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Friendly Airports in SW Florida

Skid

Well Known Member
I?m looking for some help from the RV community in SW Florida regarding RV friendly GA airports.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a winter residence in SW Florida, she wants to be close to the beach (west of 41/776), I want to be driving distance (~30 min) to an RV friendly GA airport. We are looking between Sarasota and Naples. I have flown into the Venice airport in the past but do not know the rental hangar availability during the winter months, I?m sure it?s tight. I know of Page Field in Ft Myers but know little about it. I would be open to sharing a hangar.

Any airport or hangar information would be appreciated.

There's a 5-6 year waiting list for hangers at FMY. This is huge snowbird country, so there's no such thing as winter rental availability. Naples is probably just as bad.

If you're looking to purchase, you might want to consider an airpark community. I think there's a couple homes for sale at Pine Shadows Airpark (private, 94FL). It's just barely east of 41, but there's really no beaches near there.

Buckingham field has more homes available, but it's further inland.

Now if you looked in Punta Gorda or Charlotte Park, PVG might have hangar availability. Not as many GA type services on the field, but only one airline flies out of there so not really much commercial traffic.

I'm in Cape Coral, so I know the pain.

Yup. Naples runs a waiting list. Sometime are now hangars open up as the snowbirds leave.

Gas is good. Runs about $3.90 per gallon.

The Irma hangar damage is all or almost done. The hangars are all newly painted and some hangars are getting new upgraded doors.

Self serve gas pumps are all upgraded too.

Naples continues to maintain things at the top level.

SW Florida

Punta Gorda PGD is a nice little airport some RV pilots, but has a hanger waiting list of about 50 people. I live in Cape Coral NW about 20 mile drive for me.

FMY is a great airport, there are 6 or 8 RV's based here. there is also a very active EAA chapter on field. the problem is hangar availability. there is a multiyear waiting list for a hangar.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Manatee

Our little grass strip at Airport Manatee (48X) has at least 5 RV?s. The enclosed hangars are like gold and even the shade hangars are in high demand during season. We have great camaraderie, a weekly coffee and donut event every Friday late morning. Regardless of where you settle in, old farts have a fly in lunch at varying locations on Thursdays. EAA 180 (SRQ) does a lunch fly out monthly.

Waiting lists...

Thanks for the information everyone. I have opted to get on awaiting list, we?ll see what happens.

Hangar

Skid, I have an empty hangar at Zephyrhills if helps any 815 291 8864 Thanks Ron

Thanks for the offer Ron. It will be a while until we get to FL and we will likely end up further south.

Back