What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Justifiably proud

I see Ken and his airplane several times a year at SARL races. It is fast but the thing that will not let you forget it is it's striking always perfect beauty. It is not just one of the top tier group captured in a perfect light photograph, it is outstanding in personal observation every time.

Bob Axsom

Pictures speak a thousand words

Pictures speak a thousand words....but the words are scrambled with excitement and awe. Great photo.... how and who do I request hi-res copy from?:cool:

Paint colors

Beautiful airplane!! It just so happens the colors you used is the colors that I have been planning to use on my -8 when I get it finished. Sure would like to see a side view of the whole airplane. Thanks Lyle

Thanks for the kind words. Here's a side view:

91kj8x.jpg
[/IMG]

Jo Hunter is the official SARL photographer. She does great work.

I don't know if these airplanes are ever "finished", but it's ready for the first flight if the weather ever clears up. It closed in shortly after this picture was taken and it's been raining ever since.

001yia.jpg

Flight Test

Looks like she wants to go flying.

Just checked the weather charts, doesn't look good until next Wednesday. Rain, Rain and more Rain, depressing for sure.

Hope to get up flying someday also.

Great!

I don't know if these airplanes are ever "finished", but it's ready for the first flight if the weather ever clears up. It closed in shortly after this picture was taken and it's been raining ever since.

Hey Paul......GREAT LOOKING AIRPLANE!!!!! Congratulations! Make sure someone is there to get a picture of the RV grin when you are able to get the flight in!!! :D:D:D

YOL BOLSON!

001yia.jpg

Wait till June 22nd! A gaggle of US RVs are heading your way :D

Great looking machine, Paul. Be of good cheer - the rain has finally stopped here. Since you generally get the same weather we do, delayed by 48-72 hours, by early next week you should be getting a break.

Here's wishing you a fantastically "nominal" first flight!

a real classic!

It's all personal taste, but I like your version of the classic Mustang paint job ( homebuilt). WE did something similar on our Jodel, and it just...works!
my only comment; you are gonna need some good strobes, as that is nearly an armed forces aerial camo gray isn't it? :)
a few years ago, my cream -9a was totally invisible to the tower in a few miles of smoke & haze. ( Time for contrasting checkers and/or burst eh?)

hope your first 100 flights are great...and just get better from there!

Beautiful

Wow Paul,
That's a beautiful 8. The wait was worth it. I'm looking forward to your first flight report!

Airworthiness Certificate issued

Paint to go but airworthiness inspection went very well and the required paperwork is complete---I am a proud owner, and builder of Crazy Woman and plan first test flight soon---probably before paint!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for a wonderful Forum
Dues gladly paid
N184RM RV-8 Ready for first test flight
N97629 Stinson108 flying

First Flight

N184RM AKA "Crazy Woman" has seen the air for the first time today 1.3 hrs---and what a great day it is--The flight was amazing and uneventful with the handling and speed that the RV's are known for. I am a very happy man and can't wait to continue the phase 1 testing and see where my wonderful aircraft will take me.

This has truly been a great day

Dues gladly paid
N184RM RV-8 flying paint to go
N97629 Stinson108 Flying

The Grin

Thanks Its hard to see in the picture but I am showing more teeth than I knew I had and the Grin has continued all day. Life is Good

N809RV (Miss GiGi) First Flight

My RV-8 is now flying. Passed Airworthiness Inspection July 28th, first flight was July 31st at 12:12 PM. Based at Birchwood Airfield (north of Anchorage) for Phase 1. :):):)

FirstFlightPic4_zps95d4611c.jpg

Great!

Looks super. You need some tundra tires for up there in Alaska (or floats) :D.

Finished RV-8 ZU-NAB

Our RV-8 is flying! :):)

My brother and I completed a standard kit (Serial # 82566) in seven and a half years and the first flight was on Friday 30 August 2013.
Test pilot Dawie van Staden flew her for an hour and only had a few minor squawks to report.

zu-nab3.jpg

Taxing back to the hanger after the first landing

The aircraft has flown 15 hrs so far and the engine parameters are all good.

zu-nab.jpg

zu-nab1.jpg

Thank you to VAF and everyone who contributed on these forums to make our dream come true!

What's that on the tail? We need a close up picture to fully inspect...

My design. I like how it turned out.

2B94F4C8-02D4-4A89-9E26-63FA4FE8FFA6-5584-00000474C39E3F4C_zps4d57e2ac.jpg

It's just something I've been saying for years. Aerodynamics seem to follow both form and function.

Here is the model in the artwork. She doesn't seem to enjoy build as much as me? (Notice the pointing figure skyward)

4094771ba63498624f4a46ccb653f7fe_zpsdf3cba66.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of her installing the propeller?

:) Nice plane! Congrats.

LOL!

For the other poster: Catto prop mated to 197ish of HP. I'm ready for a SARL race to show off the performance this combo is yielding.

Really cool -8, Rhino!

I saw the same pics on "aircraftwraps" Instagram profile... Paint job is definitely amazing.

Really cool -8, Rhino!

I saw the same pics on "aircraftwraps" Instagram profile... Paint job is definitely amazing.

Yep. That's me.

No paint on the plane. 100% vinyl wrap from spinner to tail.

Turbo,

F45 north hangers. PM me and I'll provide the follow me truck! I might fly tomorrow if the winds calm down. You gonna be at Stuart? I could come by the turbo cave?

CONGRATS!!!!

Thanks for posting! She's a beautiful bird Bob, classic paint and great colors! - and I like the name :) With a 3 month window since the first flight, are you still in Phase 1, or are you happily flying all over the country? :D Enjoy!

N888EX - Buttercup Ready for flight..

2+ years. This picture was taken the day i moved (Buttercup) it to airport, early October. On Tuesday, Dec 3rd, the aircraft was deemed airworthy by the local DAR. Currently waiting for a decent day to fly it. Special thanks to Scott Trask for all his hard work and assistance helping me out and use of his hanger, my wife Diane for her great support in the build process, Mark Yankovich the new DAR in the area who helped with the paperwork and doing the inspection, VAF website for a vast amount of knowledge, and most of all, I give thanks to My Lord Jesus Christ who has blessed me so greatly in my life, giving me so many opportunities and blessings.

2gt6781.jpg

Beautiful airplane and wonderful way to express your gratitude, thanks for sharing your message!

You had a great helper!

Scott is a good guy and a very knowledgeable plane builder. I had already seen some pictures of your plane while he was working on it...I really like your shade of blue. I used the same color on mine.

Good luck and be safe.

Acquired a used RV-8 on the 30th of December. Have about 15 hours in her so far. Haven't really had much time to take better photos, but I'll get around to it.

rv8-2sm.jpg

Back