What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left hand throttle quadrant for RV-6

SteveMcDevitt

I'm New Here
I'm buying a beautiful RV-6 and will be flying a lot of formation. I have seen a few that have the throttle quadrant on the left side of cockpit. This is a mod that I would like to do. Any input, pro or con would be greatly appreciated.

Steve. 941-518-1590
[email protected]

What's needed

If you really want to do this my suggestion is to install a throttle only on the left side. Do not duplicate the mixture and prop controls on the left side. They will add weight, cost, and complexity. Once set, the mixture and prop are not adjusted during formation work. Just grab the stick in the right hand and the throttle in the left and formate away......
Enjoy the build

Here's my rv-6 left hand throttle

controls2.jpg

Integrated it into the arm rest and made it largely using the RV-8 rear throttle kit from Van's. I agree that it makes sense to mount only the throttle on the left in the -6 and mount mixture and prop in the conventional location. There is not a bunch of room on the left in a -6. (red knob under the panel is an oil cooler door control).

Last edited:
Gary, do you have a diagram showing how that system works? Do you have a throttle at all in the middle, or is that just mixture and prop?

Steve, you'll eventually adjust to a right-hand throttle in formation. You'll have some rough practices that make you feel like you're back to the starting line in your training, but you'll get it. Another option, if you have dual brakes, is to fly the plane from the right seat.

Rob,

Sit in the airplane and visualize flying it with the left hand throttle.

Can you reach the radio, flap and trim switches with your left hand? If not you will be playing hand switch with the stick. I installed a left hand throttle (back seat RV-8 throttle) early on in the RV-7A and removed it because the panel was not set up for it the way I liked it, switching hands on the stick in the pattern did not suit me.

Just a 2 cent input FWIW.

Left side throttle just seemed right for me, might be the Citabria influence. When I'm jockeying the throttle, I'm not changing radio stations or tuning the GPS, so I don't worry about switching hands.

RV-7build1140.jpg

I would guess it took a week to route cables(custom), build custom brackets for the FI. then build the mount 3 times to get it where I liked it. Would I do it again?....most likely, I stubborn like that.

Steve - No diagram. Basically the lever mounts a rod end bearing that push/pulls a rod made from a female threaded 6061 heavy wall tube. The push rod passes through the F604 via an elongated hole.

The throttle cable is mounted via the standard lock nutted arrangement in a hole in the F602 (properly re-enforced with a flanged, triangular doubler plate riveted into F602 and the middle longeron).

The pushrod from the lever threads onto the cable, again via 10-32 ID threads. The push rod provides length adjustability and, of course everything is stop nutted. The custom length cable (Maybe 52" from memory) passes through the fire wall and S curves to the standard Van's throttle cable bracket for your carb/injector.

The throttle lever operates in a slot right in the F620 armrest. The slot has an UHMW slotted plate to provide a wear free rub slot. A lot of the bits came from an RV-8 rear seat throttle kit including the friction knob.

No center throttle. Only time I miss one is when someone is trying to fly from the right seat - they have no throttle - a rare occurrence - maybe twice in 240 hours.

Rarely have to switch hands when flying. My flap switch is mounted just above the throttle lever (visible in photo), my trims are in the pilots stick grip. Switching radio freqs while flying form can be interesting. A radio flip/flop switch in the stick or throttle would mostly solve that. Just isn't really an issue at any other time.

The lever in this position falls readily to hand for me and does not take up any cockpit or panel space nor bang any knees or thighs.

If I was to have a re-do, I would probably look at adapting the DJM single lever RV-8 rear throttle into the same position. A few more bucks but maybe more slick looking and a better friction knob. But all in all this one works great!!

Last edited:
Here's how I did it in my RV-7. I crafted a bracket for the throttle and reinforced it with some angle aluminum on the backside for strength. I mounted it to the sidewall and the bottom of the dash.

IMG_5649.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I made a temporary bracket out of aluminum to get the angles and clearances correct. I then made a steel bracket and welded it onto the existing bracket. Had to order a custom length throttle cable. Very simple and works well.

IMG_3755.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3950.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've seen a handful of -6s set up for right seat solo. Surprised more people don't do that. If I were building a -6, -7, -9, -14 I'd probably set it up that way.

Left Hand Engine Controls

Here's a shot of my panel with the controls on the left. Granted, not the best shot. Great for formation work and doesn't take up a lot of leg room. Flap switch just next to the prop control. Can all be done with one hand while watching lead.

OwensPanel9-03_zpsac734836.jpg

The "right" seat?!

I'm buying a beautiful RV-6 and will be flying a lot of formation. I have seen a few that have the throttle quadrant on the left side of cockpit. This is a mod that I would like to do. Any input, pro or con would be greatly appreciated.

Steve. 941-518-1590
[email protected]

Steve,
When I have F16 flashbacks and desire to hold the throttle in my left hand (again) I simply fly my RVX from the right seat...:)
V/R
Smokey

PS:However comma, flying formation has nothing to do with which hand is holding the stick or throttle..

Last edited:
Back