What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport OH console to bulkhead fit/options

az_gila

Well Known Member
For the folks that have already done the Aerosport OH console install.

How did you mate the aft end of the console to the rear bulkhead?

Did you leave the flange in place?

Did you trim the flange down? Or remove it completely?

Did you work for a precise butt joint? Or leave a gap to be filled later?

Did you cut down the top of the bulkhead panel to clear the console? Or leave a gap and slid it up under the bottom portion of the console?

So many options - what to do... :)

I left the flange and used some weather stripping to form a seal against the rear bulkhead. I have an AC system going through the console. Aerosport has a bulkhead panel that can be trimmed to cover the flange and create a nice finished look.

I left the flange and used some weather stripping to form a seal against the rear bulkhead. I have an AC system going through the console. Aerosport has a bulkhead panel that can be trimmed to cover the flange and create a nice finished look.

Thanks - I see it here on their web site but with no details -

Headliner.jpg

Was a it a custom made part? Does it cover the lower bulkhead portion too?

Custom as in you trim it then send it back for them to upholster. They will have it on their new website, or just call them and talk with them. Geoff, Zac, or Andrew are all awesome. It does cover the lower bulkhead with carpet and top with leather. The embroidery is included.

I trimmed the console for a tight fit against the bulkhead. Then I used electrical tape to seal the joint (through the ventilation holes in the baggage bulkhead) from inside the console. Basically, pressure inside the console will hold the tape in place if the adhesive fails.

I had to reposition a couple of the screws in the aft baggage panel to make it work.

Mine is identical to Geoff?s that you have a photo above. Leave the Flanders, use weather stripping and keep it tight against the factory bulkhead. What you see in the photo is a cosmetic panel covered in leather. The bottom has another cosmetic panel covered in carpet.

Mine is identical to Geoff?s that you have a photo above. Leave the Flanders, use weather stripping and keep it tight against the factory bulkhead. What you see in the photo is a cosmetic panel covered in leather. The bottom has another cosmetic panel covered in carpet.

Well that looks easier to build...:)

Does the metal upper bulkhead cover simply "bump out" over the flange?

Well that looks easier to build...:)

Does the metal upper bulkhead cover simply "bump out" over the flange?

The top part of the van?s Metal bulkhead is flat. The carbon fiber flange on the overhead buts up against the bulkhead, with some foam weatherstrip to ensure there is no air leaks. The corigation starts just below the flange.

The cosmetic panels are a lightweight board that is covered with either leather or carpet that are held in place with a couple screws to the metal bulkhead.

I may have some photos, but I have to go look for them. The overhead pics on Geoff?s site with the pink top is actually my top.

I couldn?t find a photo online that showed the bulkhead intersection.

This photo was when I was fitting the headliners, but you can see that the overhead flange is at the end of the cabin cover.

FP20052011A0003D.jpg

Gil
Cut the flange to about a 1/4? see picture. My upper panel slides behind the flange. It is tight. You might have to sand the carbon flange down/make it thinner. This will depend on how the overhead fits in your airplane. If needed you can cut the flange off and use a piece of rubber trim to seal against the bulkhead. Hope this make sense. Please call me at Aerosport if you have other questions.
FYI my overhead is the older glass one

IMG_1903-XL.jpg

Gil
Cut the flange to about a 1/4” see picture. My upper panel slides behind the flange. It is tight. You might have to sand the carbon flange down/make it thinner. This will depend on how the overhead fits in your airplane. If needed you can cut the flange off and use a piece of rubber trim to seal against the bulkhead. Hope this make sense. Please call me at Aerosport if you have other questions.

Thanks Geoff. You picture makes a lot sense and I was thinking of that as an option.

I have the early green top so the mid-area notch in your console is variable and I can adjust it a bit fore and aft to be a nice fit. I intend to paint the console so a bit of filler cover the carbon is OK. :)

I do like the idea of the upper cover and carpet on the lower panel. More dead cows needed for the leather. :)

Gil
Cut the flange to about a 1/4? see picture. My upper panel slides behind the flange. It is tight. You might have to sand the carbon flange down/make it thinner. This will depend on how the overhead fits in your airplane. If needed you can cut the flange off and use a piece of rubber trim to seal against the bulkhead. Hope this make sense. Please call me at Aerosport if you have other questions.

IMG_1903-XL.jpg

I am also installing one in the next week. With your flange tight against the bulkhead, I assume you did not use any weather stripping. Is your air tight?

Larry

I am also installing one in the next week. With your flange tight against the bulkhead, I assume you did not use any weather stripping. Is your air tight?

Larry

Larry that is correct. I did not need any weather stripping.

Back