What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New toy for my 12

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Smoke On :D

smoke1 092013.jpg

smoke 2 092013.jpg

Darn it. Another must have for the -12!
Very cool!
Can you elaborate on the install, costs, etc?

Spotted that RV-12 with smoke again!

RV-12 with smoke spotted over Marsh Creek State Park
6jgw7fud

Zqyyu2nx

7qRwB8Dr

Q2e5fi66

d3v0TGWI

SbpbZuqb

psn3F2Sf

Last edited:
Ok, I'll be the first to say it. That is just Wrong. :). Glad you're having fun.

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. That is just Wrong. :). Glad you're having fun.

Scott, look at this way...

When ATC calls him as "traffic" he can stroke the smoke so the other plane will see him.

Consider it a safety enhancement.

Of course, flying around with your smoke on will prompt more than a few calls to 911.

I just call it 'icing on the cake' for these high-performance RV-12's
(tongue in cheek of course).

Waaaay cool! I'd bet it makes the front page!

And Don, no worries. You beat me to it on ordering. We'll call you #2:)

I look at it as a consolation prize. Since we cannot fly upside down and do loops, at least we can fool lots of people since we LOOK like we should be part of the upside down crowd!
I imagine the call that Air Force One is trailing smoke might even get me some priority in the pattern.

I have a friend with a Kitfox with smoke and more than once the tower reports his position and others are looking. He lets some smoke go and he is immediately spotted. It is a safety feature too!

Looking forward to some photos. I got my smoke kit yesterday, and have ran up against one small problem. The kit requires the tank to be located LOWER than the exhaust to prevent siphoning of the smoke fluid. That is not possible for me, so I am thinking of some sort of check valve in the plumbing to prevent the siphon action. Comments anybody?

I will take some pics this Thursday and post them

posted for the 4 guys who sent PM's for photos

I will post some photos, but not till the weekend when I can get to the hanger to take a few pics. I know hard to believe I didn't take pics while installing :rolleyes:

The tank is mounted inside of the plane since I could not figure a way to fill it without taking off the cowl or adding a door to the cowl. I ended up mounting the tank and pump on a bracket located on the side wall of the plane. I fabricated a bracket between the side stiffeners with nut plates. The oil tank sits on the baggage floor secured to the brace on the side. The line goes to the front and then is plumbed through the firewall, then to the pre-heater and up to the injector.

I also ordered a 12v solenoid to make sure the line will not siphon when it is not on.

Need Smoke!

I fell victim for the need to "Smoke" in my 12... :) See some install pictures at http://www.scgarrett.com.

My method for those who have installation questions was to create a 12" x 12" support bracket out of stout aluminum (I used .050) and put a 90 degree bend 2 inches from end. I hung the supply tank and pump on this bracket and will also place my solenoid (check valve) once I receive it. The bracket hangs from the horizontal bar in the cockpit, which the seatbacks rest on, and is riveted into place. I routed plastic tubing from the supply tank to the firewall and copper from the firewall forward. There is always more than one way to do things....this was mine.
Extra parts needed for my install beyond the kit are:
2' of 1/4" copper tubing
10' of tubing (US Plastics, part #54013)
12V Solenoid (www.stcvalve.com) part #2P025-1/8-1-G

Last edited:
Paris12Man

Looks good except you will not get the smoke you want due to where you have the injector. More oil will come out not smoke. I did the same and ended up welding the goof and moving it. My placement is high on the exhaust as close to the cylinder as possible, just after the bend down to the muffler. I have mine about an inch after the EGT probe.

Just feed back from my experience. I will try to take a few pics tonight to help out.

Photos of the install - Sky Smoke

The tank is mounted inside of the plane since I could not figure a way to fill it without taking off the cowl or adding a door to the cowl. I ended up mounting the tank and pump on a bracket located on the side wall of the plane. I fabricated a bracket between the side stiffeners with nut plates. The oil tank sits on the baggage floor secured to the brace on the side.

smoke1.jpg

The line goes to the front and then is plumbed through the firewall (I also ordered a 12v solenoid to make sure the line will not siphon when it is not on)

smoke2.jpg

Then to the pre-heater

smoke3.jpg

and up to the injector, installed just after the bend before the muffler just above the springs.

smoke5.jpg

And there will be smoke

smoke1 092013.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Nothing new here . . .

He's been blowing smoke for years . . . even before he had a flying RV-12:D

Wow Dan, that "Circle the Sun" shot is priceless!!
I like your mount for smoker too, would love to have some more information on how you did it so I can copy it.

For formation - and there are RV12 formations getting started (!) - , the smoke activation switch would be best if reachable without taking the hands off of stick or throttle. Maybe an added switch to the stick or a switch like the autopilot button near the throttle? Does make it more complicated running the extra wire compared to a switch next to the 12V socket... maybe some kind of wireless switch? Eventually we'll have contacts controlled by voice command...

Another one...

Installed the switch right of the intercom. 12V 18 gauge wire is going through the center up the gear channel to the ELT position.
From the tank the smoke fluid is going through the solenoid (below the tank) to the pump and to the quick connect fitting (6 mm).
To remove the smoke tank I only have to disconnect the molex, the quick disconnect fitting and two screws. The system draws about 3 amps (1,5 each pump/solenoid).
Will fill the tank with a pressured jerrycan.

92wu.jpg

Secured the line afterwards to the firewall stiffener and to the water coolant hose with tie-wraps:

849b.jpg

qms7.jpg

90hs.jpg

Quick disconnect fitting:

wxx1.jpg

7m9c.jpg

Cost of the oil

Love it guys but post some numbers on smoke oil cost. I bought the actual superdri smoke oil when I flew model airplanes and it was expensive! Of course you aren't flying around with it on all day, but what do you figure your cost per minute of burned smoke oil and where are you buying it ?

Morning Jack,

I was scheduled for the B747 but ended up on the B777. July 2015 to the B747.
Any plans for today? We will fly to Texel around 11.00am.

About the smoke system: I did cut the exhaust pipe, guess due to this the smoke flows along the fuselage and some smoke enters the cockpit near the right gear leg opening (see picture). I will seal the mixer bolt hole, the gear leg openings and the spar openings. It doesn't give problems when giving short bursts of smoke.

About safety: I had a traffic alert from Flarm and spotted the traffic but the other traffic didn't see me. A short burst of smoke did make him react instantly ;-)

IMG_4413%2520-%2520versie%25203.JPG

Great photo.
I installed the landing gear top fairings to close the holes around the legs. Cold air blowing on your back in winter is not very nice.
Was supposed to go to Texel on monday but it took me most of the day to replace faulty EGT sensor. It is a pain to get at the wiring tiewrapped to to the engine mounting ring. Need a 4 inch midget.
My third EGT failure in less than 300 hours. Poor quality.
They are cheap but so much work to replace.

Busy building #790 and having fun

Dual SkyViews

Jack - please give us details on the dual SkyViews. How well do you like it / does two of them make you more safe or add utility / would you put two of them into your next 12 / any electrical problems, etc, etc, anything that you would like to add. The concept, while maybe overkill, is very intriguing. Please elaborate. Thanks.

E.D.Eliot

I fitted a second SV1000 on the right hand side of the panel and moved the intercom to the left. I did not install a back-up battery on this one, as I consider it a back-up already.
I love to fly with PFD and engine management left and full screen map on the right.
I took 12 V from the power panel bus and supply the unit via a protection breaker switch above the new SV.
The standard dynon ethernet 3 ft cable to interconnect the two to sync the maps and a 3 ft Dynon network cable for data sync between terminals.
You have to parallel all serial port users to both terminals (transponder, ADSB, radio,etc) to make these work from both units.
I did extensive consumption measurements all consumers active and found I can meet the ASTM 80% max generator load all the time when I power switch the fuel pump which I operate from a Ray-Allen grip switch via a small power relay added to the panel.
I use the E pump on take off and landing (like all Rotax driven planes do I know) and power switch the second SV off when the pump is on. In cruise the SV is on and the pump off. Flew over 100 hours in this setup without problems.
I have all options installed such as APilot, ADSB and lighting and found after a normal start and all equipment active the battery charge current reduces to 1 amp or 0 in about 20 minutes, meaning the battery is fully cahrged again.
If you are interested I can PM you my fully updated RV12 Autocad diagram and the power calculation spreadsheet.
I am very happy with this setup and will do the same in the second 12 I am building now.

I also made the trim and AP engage/disengage switch operate from the Ray Allen grips in parallel to the panel ones. (this also needs 2 small relays).

Back