What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire marking paint

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I can't seem to find anything that will stay on my tires to mark the place where the valve stem lines up with the hole in the fairing. Always end up moving the ship and getting down to look in the hole and repeating many times.

I have tried a couple of types of paint that come off because of the tire flex. The marks need to be near the tread so it can be seen under the fairing. Anyone have something that will stick?

I have been meaning to try some high temp (red/orange) RTV sealant.
It is bright colored and seems to stick to everything so I think it should work.

one idea

ok, lots of people much smarter than I will comment; I used a black felt pen, and made a long mark along the bottom of the pant when the valve stem was 'in the hole'. Then a fat arrow pointing at the ground.
It's kinda shiny, and not impossible to see as you are moving the tire around.

the only other thing I recall using on rubber was balloon ink.
yep, waaaaaaay back in the day, I screen-printed those 'happy birthday' or whatever on semi-inflated balloons...using a pretty hot lacquer based ink. (probably illegal and not used in this century!)

I used a white Sharpie paint pen from local office supply store. It is holding up pretty well so far. I would expect to re-marked the tires from time to time.

Car touch up paint

I used some white auto touch up paint I had for the old mini-van..lasted 6 years until tire change. put stem in center of hole, then painted line to match the split line in fairing.

Marking tire

Why not use a tire marking stick. That's what it's design to do. Ever get a tire fixed? Those marks stay for quite a while.
In a former life I was a tire mechanic. Large and small. Changed tons of split ring wheels by hand with a spoon sledge and crowbar.

Why not use a tire marking stick. That's what it's design to do. Ever get a tire fixed? Those marks stay for quite a while.
In a former life I was a tire mechanic. Large and small. Changed tons of split ring wheels by hand with a spoon sledge and crowbar.

I'm sorry, only because I some how know what that involves......how's your back? :rolleyes:

A stripe of White-Out (remember that stuff from before the computer age?) has been great on my tires for over 2 years now. Still VERY visible.

I use white Rustoleium. I paint a stripe where needed. It easily last for three years, and if needed, I touch it up when I remove the wheels for bearing cleaning and grease. The paint is available in pint size cans and I always seem to need it for projects around the house.

Orange nail polish

... mark the place where the valve stem lines up with the hole in the fairing. ...

Bruce, I use orange nail polish, which I also use to replace exorbitantly priced Torque Seal. Works well enough (both applications).

I haven't marked for this reason as I don't have my wheel pants on yet but us drag racers have used white shoe polish for marking our drag slicks forever.

It works very well and stays even with all the burn outs we do, it's a bigger tip but won't crack or peel once on, you could put two pieces of masking tape to make the line narrow or just use the edge of the shoe polish marker.

They make special markers for this in racing, but it's removable where the shoe polish isn't once it's dry hard.

+1 for Krylon

I sprayed white Krylon on a couple of Q-tips and made my lines. They're holding up well. Don't forget to make them on the outside and inside of the tires. This makes it easier to see when you're pushing or pulling from the nose of the plane rather than having to move a little and check repeatedly.

When I replace tires, I locate the stem to line up with the access hole and lower the tire to the floor of the hangar. I then mark the floor in front of the tires...... When ready to check the tires I just push the plane back to expose the mark on the floor and everything lines up perfect........:D

Back