What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An alternative to slider or tip up?

dicel87

Well Known Member
I've been following the debates on slider and tip up....each has a very devoted following. The common issue seems to be with difficulty in constructing them properly. Slider proponents seem to wrestle with their unique design challenges as do tip fun fans with their own design. But what about a different design altogether?

In checking out some of the new RV10 sites that are cropping up I have started to see a number of buiders entering the finishing stages of their plane and that means installing the fiberglass canopy/roof with its gull wing doors.

So why wouldnt a similar (but scaled down version) of this design work on an RV9 or RV7? I haven't built one obviously, but it seems to be less difficult to mate the fiberglass to the fuselage and install the windows, than mating plexi to tubes and metal and then getting that whole assembly to either tip up or slide correctly.

Think it would be too tight of an entry in a two seater? Too much weight? Too much trouble?

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the collective group of builders.

Scott

They are called LONGERONS...

The difference in the designs of the RV-7/9 fuselage from the RV-10 is the longerons positions to the wings, seats, canopy, etc. The longerons ship in the wing kit box because of their length. They are continuous from the firewall to the aft end of the fuselage on both sides. The canopy decks sit on them whether you are building a tip-up or slider. They are the major strength members of the fuselage on all the airplanes before the RV-10. I have not seen the plans for the RV-10, but I will bet the continuous longerons in that bird are at the level of the fuselage where the bottom of the gull-wing doors are latched.

That fiberglass roof is also providing some stability to the overall fuselage. And while I am at it, one good reason to keep the RV-10 as a nose-wheel airplane is the longer front end to enclose that 6-cylinder engine. It is easier to see over the cowl if the airplane is level on the landing gear. The other simple reason would be if you put too much weight in the back seats and baggage area, it could tip over on the tail when it is being loaded and give away an AFT CG before you got the engine started.

But what do I know, I am building an RV-9A.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV 90622
www.n2prise.org

Back