What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Options

There is that Corvette engine thing too!

They have it flying in a -7 now, but it seems to me that it would be more suited for the -10... so long as you are OK with auto conversions.

I can't remember the site name.

Anyone??

:confused: CJ

Engine Options for the RV-10

The Mistral G-230TS turbo rotary is in my mind the most attractive option vs. Lycoming. The only drawback is that it is expensive. Check it out.

gipsowh said:
The Mistral G-230TS turbo rotary is in my mind the most attractive option vs. Lycoming. The only drawback is that it is expensive. Check it out.

Mistral is CERTIFING these engines as well. They plan to produce a 3 rotor as well with 50% more displacement, should be a real GO-er.
I plan to use the 3 rotor 20B Mazda in my 10.

Please nobody get offended! If you break at an outlying field, will somebody know how to fix these engines? They sound great, but I don't know who would work on a rotary car, much less a rotary aircraft? Land at the nearest Mazda dealership. :D

Brian130 said:
Please nobody get offended! If you break at an outlying field, will somebody know how to fix these engines? They sound great, but I don't know who would work on a rotary car, much less a rotary aircraft? Land at the nearest Mazda dealership. :D

Brian,
Fair call, but the rotary since tip seals were perfected (early '70s) rotarys are one of the most reliable ICE's made. You are far more likely to lose a add-on like a alternator. The problem would be the same there as a Lyc or Conti. The ign/fi is totally redundant. I have fewer worries about this engine than a Lyc. Break a crank or drop a valve (which does happen) and your plane is on the ground for a long time no mater what it's powered by. If you don't do your own service, don't use an alternate engine. BTW You could buy a new rotary engine, AT THE CLOSEST MAZDA DEALER, have it shipped to the airport, swap out the engine, and throw the old engine away for less than the cost of a Lycoming crankshaft. :)

Bill Jepson (Not offended at all, just a different drummer)

Rotary10-RV said:
Mistral is CERTIFING these engines as well. They plan to produce a 3 rotor as well with 50% more displacement, should be a real GO-er.
I plan to use the 3 rotor 20B Mazda in my 10.

Not considering the new Renesis? I havent visited Tracey Crooks site in awhile to see how the conversion is going.

Kai Schumann

Baja_Traveler said:
Not considering the new Renesis? I havent visited Tracey Crooks site in awhile to see how the conversion is going.

Kai Schumann
Kai,
Tracy says "no news is good news" the plane is flying well with the Renesis. No problems to report. If the output is higher it could have as easily been the 2.85:1 redrive as the engine. The 3 rotor is a 13B with an extra rotor and should allow 250 NA HP without being "wrung out". Both are good engines, and since I already have a 20B...
To be fair to the conventional engine folks, I talked to Van the last time I passed through, (Dec.), and he really likes the newer IO-360 Conti powered #2 RV-10. Lighter weight gives equivelent perf except in climb. All the Vans guys like it. Cost should be less than a 540.

Bill Jepson

Back