What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tipup and map box (Aaargh!!)

Leonard_Smith_nz

All,

I placed my Van's supplied map box on the right hand side of the panel, just to the right of the subpanel attachment. Pretty logical place for it to go...BUT today I discovered to my horror that now my canopy cannot close anymore, because it is obstructed by the map box recess as it comes down.

So after a few %*&#!? I thought it's probably a good idea to forewarn others with a similar configuration to double check their intended placement of the mapbox before cutting the panel.

Not too high and not too far right!

It's very easy to put the canopy away for 'safe keeping' and forget to periodically check that none of the intended panel accessories present a problem with canopy opening and closing....

Keep well,
Leonard
RV6 in New Zealand

Last edited:
I second that. I did the same thing only along the top of the sub-panel. I placed a few electrical items toward the top of this panel (relay, aux power source) too close to the top. Same deal, the tip-up wouldn't close when I tried it at a later date. Items need to be down apporx. 2" from top edge.

Oh, I feel your pain.

I built the map box, put my panel together and then realized the box wouldn't fit where I wanted to put it. So...

I think I might change the box to open along the top, long wise and mount it on the tunel cover. That way I will still have a place to charts etc. Just a thought.

Can I assume that none of you placed the map box where the plans say it should go ?
I have myself deviated from the plans a few times only to be met by a surprise.
@#$% happens, and I thought it was only me...

Maybe we should start a thread called "THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR"

We had a gotcha on a friends RV-6 tip-up. The panel was laser cut with a backlit overlay and when we had it all installed the canopy forward structure hit the intercom box and would not close. Aaarg!. We remotely mounted the guts of the intercom and the problem was solved. We had some other minor gotcha's but were able to work around them.

Watch the canopy and keep it closed unless you are getting in our out. My friiend backed his opened canopy 6 into the hanager and really tweeked the canopy on the hangar door. I was glad the plexi did not break but it still took quite a bit of work to make the canopy fit the fusalage again. The hangar door was ok.

Gary

Back