What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lock nut accessibility...

kbalch

Well Known Member
Well, after having been so good about triple checking all of my rod end bearing lock nuts, I managed to install my rudder today (completely installed - with nuts torqued and rudder cables connected and cotter pinned) only to realize that I'd neglected to tighten the three lock nuts first. And...

...I can't seem to find an angle where my crowfoot (on an extension) can turn the nuts. Obviously, I really don't want to remove the entire rudder at this point.

Can anyone suggest another way of tightening those lock nuts with the rudder mounted? Please? :)

My recommendation, get a cheap set of box wrench and modify/cut the 9/16 size wrench which is used for the lock nut just enough that goes thru the bolt. This would be your wrench for tightening the lock nuts. It will come handy thru your build and maintenance.
Here is the link to a set that is metric but they also carry the standard size.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

I think I see what you're getting at there (sort of a homemade crowfoot), but I'm not sure that it's going to get me a better angle on the lock nut than I can get with my store-bought crowfoot & extension. If I'm just being dense, please don't hesitate to point it out... :rolleyes:

Homemade crowfoot spanner

I bought a dirt cheap spanner, cut off the open end and re-welded it at 90 degrees (you could weld it on at whatever angle to suit) for doing up the jam-nuts.

I think I see what you're getting at there (sort of a homemade crowfoot), but I'm not sure that it's going to get me a better angle on the lock nut than I can get with my store-bought crowfoot & extension. If I'm just being dense, please don't hesitate to point it out... :rolleyes:
Ken,
you have the right idea with the crow foot and extension. The box wrench is a bit less bulky and it is 8 point wrench which will work better in the tight space. My crew foot works and used it as you described it but in some area is limited due to space.
BTW, I am assuming you are working on the jam nut of the rod end bearing and not the knot lock, correct? I have not had any issues with the locknut on the bolt.

Last edited:
Ken,
you have the right idea with the crow foot and extension. The box wrench is a bit less bulky and it is 8 point wrench which will work better in the tight space. My crew foot works and used it as you described it but in some area is limited due to space.
BTW, I am assuming you are working on the jam nut of the rod end bearing and not the knot lock, correct? I have not had any issues with the locknut on the bolt.

Yes, I was working on the rod end bearing jam nuts. I was eventually able to get a shorty open end wrench in there and tighten the nuts. Glad that's over!

:D

Back