What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X magnetometer

n700jl

Well Known Member
Would it be OK to mount 2 different magnatometers in the same wingtip area? I have 1 Dynon maganatometer currently mounted for a D10A and would like to mount the G3X magnetometer under the same wing tip. Do you think that it would be a problem to do this? Thanks!

G3X install

Down load the G3X install manual from Garmin and it will provide ans. or call Garmin tech support

Would it be OK to mount 2 different magnatometers in the same wingtip area? I have 1 Dynon maganatometer currently mounted for a D10A and would like to mount the G3X magnetometer under the same wing tip. Do you think that it would be a problem to do this? Thanks!

I would be reluctant to put both in the same area even if the manufacturer allows it. IF something goes wrong like the wingtip gets bumped, you loose both your primary and redundant maganatometers. Same if they were in the same location inside the fuselage. IF some magnetic item gets near them, they BOTH read the same error. Mounted in different locations should allow different readings so that the operator knows that something is not correct.

The install manual is somewhat contradictory on the matter. In the distance table it says this:

"Magnetic measuring device other than another GMU 22 (e.g. installed flux
gates, even if unpowered) 2 feet (0.6 meter)"

But later on the same the page of the manual it say this:
"For installations with dual GMU 22 magnetometers, co-locating the two magnetometers close to each other in the tail or in one wing is recommended as this reduces the likelihood of heading splits or miscompares when operating on the ground in the vicinity of local magnetic anomalies."

Now assuming that he Dynon magnetometer can, for arguments sake, be considered to conform essentially to another GMU 22/44 for installation purposes, then the later passage would indicate it's not a problem.

Hopefully Team Garmin or Dynon will weigh in with a definitive answer.

Actually the Garmin instructions seem pretty clear - if you've got dual GMU-22s (G3x magnetometers), mounting them close together is ok, even recommended. Anything else should be a min of 2 feet away. It may be Ok with a Dynon magnetometer being closer than that, but I'm sure Garmin didn't test for that and therefore can't/doesn't guarantee it will work.

its my understanding it's the same exact part number for the one used in the G600, which i used to have, and replaced with the G3X

the G600 never complained, the G3X is NEVER happy with mag calibration in the current location

Back