What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop balancing in Michigan?

Paul K

Well Known Member
I've been searching for someone who does dynamic prop balancing in west Michigan and have come up empty! I have a 200RV and am supposed to get this done. Help!

Thanks Walt but have family in town that week and geeze, that's a long way to go for a balance job! I'm sure it would be the best but still.....:D

prop balance

If you would like to fly down to Indy KMQJ I can balance this for you. just give me a call 317-201-8517. Thanks!

I live in Midland, MI and know a few local RV builders. I will ask around to see if they had the balancing done locally.

Paul,

Terry Brokaw lives near Three Rivers can do it. He can also bring his equipment to you. He's a long time AP/IA, Tech Advisor and built a Long Ez. Contact him at 734-730-3254.

Jim Butcher

I'll be bringing my balancing equipment to LOE, maybe you should stop by :D
Hi Walt-
I know you have a great reputation for prop balancing. For those of us who can't make it to you, do you have any suggestions about what questions we should ask of other prop balancers in order to be most likely to get the best results (e.g. what types of equipment or process we should inquire about)? I'm right now getting my prop repitched by Craig Catto and balancing is one of the first items on my list once I get it back.
Thanks.

Hi Walt-
I know you have a great reputation for prop balancing. For those of us who can't make it to you, do you have any suggestions about what questions we should ask of other prop balancers in order to be most likely to get the best results (e.g. what types of equipment or process we should inquire about)? I'm right now getting my prop repitched by Craig Catto and balancing is one of the first items on my list once I get it back.
Thanks.

I would ask things like:

What type of equipment do you use? (MicroVib, ACES, Chadwick are the best)
What vibration level do you typically get after balance? (I guarantee .05 IPS or less)
Where do you place the weights? (on RV's with Lycs the normal spot is the flywheel so you don't have to drill any holes)
Do you do a spectrum analysis?
What type of documentation is provided?
Is the work done by a certified mechanic?

What should it cost?

I would ask things like:

What type of equipment do you use? (MicroVib, ACES, Chadwick are the best)
What vibration level do you typically get after balance? (I guarantee .05 IPS or less)
Where do you place the weights? (on RV's with Lycs the normal spot is the flywheel so you don't have to drill any holes)
Do you do a spectrum analysis?
What type of documentation is provided?
Is the work done by a certified mechanic?

Walt, what would be a fair price for it when done well by a qualified person?

Back