What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calgary to Disney... will this be the year!

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
For the last couple of years in spring we have planned to have a vacation in the warm south west with a planned stop at Disney Land for the kids. Both times we had to leave early from a house issue and the other year from sick kids. I posted a write up of each of these trips.

Well this time the first goal is to get to LA and Disney done so mission will be accomplished. Then the holiday can start.:D Maybe us adult kids will like it, don't know. We then head to San Diego.

The big difference with this year is, we have not said anything to the kids about Disney. We told them we are going to Connecticut:). They did not even question it as we end up anywhere in the plane. It is just another destination. As long as the hotel has a pool, they are happy. If you have watched some of my Youtube Videos, the kids really want to go to Disney.

So weather is looking good for a slot to get away the first of this week. And actually looks good to go through Washington, Oregon and down. Every other year we had to go through Salt Lake and once through Denver.:eek:

Here is our planned route. Clear Customs in Spokane then direct to Lake Tahoe for a late lunch, then into Fullerton. Should be there by supper on Tuesday.
I need everyone to cross there fingers and toes that this is the year;) No one is sick "yet" and the weather "should" be good.

157ywz9.png

We are bringing lunch with us so stop locations are not important. Lake Tahoe looks nice so I figured my not. If there is any other ideas, let me know.

Here is my spot if you want to follow along.http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0K2qUrM1205OcaMGxkSqBFXnY4fQmhF4E

I am only bringing iphones and ipads so I do not think I can report pics on the way. I will be sure to do a write up on our return.

Disney

Troy,
Have a great time. My kids are almost the same age as yours. They love Disney. We have never been to Disneyland but have ventured to WDW many many times. Your legs look long. I have also been working my family up to some long legs. 4hrs 20min is the longest so far. The RV-10 is such a great plane for getting there with your family. Thanks to Van's Aircraft for this bird! Have fun. Make sure you get some mouse ears with there name on the back. They wil keep it forever!:D

Longest leg is about 3:20 from Spokane to Lake Tahoe. They are usually pretty good on those legs. You never know though, as long as we keep the liquids to a minimum, we are usually ok. 4 hrs from start up to shut down is about where we all need a break from each other:D. Big difference if the ride is smooth or not.

I am sure the kids will have a great time. I will be sure to get them some ears.

Great Plan

That should be a nice route to fly and Lake Tahoe is a very nice spot,
however a bit far from town. You are bringing lunch so that would be no problem.
We flew into Fullerton last year for a visit to Disneyland, very close and the cab ride was only 24 dollars. Better than any shuttle ride from any of the major airports where you typically spend more than 30 dollars per person.
Have fun!

...Lake Tahoe is a very nice spot, however a bit far from town. You are bringing lunch so that would be no problem.
Right next to the FBO there is a picnic table in a nice park like area. There is a good restaurant on field a little ways from the FBO. The Flight Dec.

IMG_9461 by dntanderson, on Flickr

The FBO is a mile from the "Y" where there is McDonald's, Round Table, Kmart, and bus stop. There is a nice (most of the way) trail to the "Y" from the airport.

IMG_0100.JPG by dntanderson, on Flickr

Six miles from the airport to Stateline. Last time we got a taxi it was $30 one way.

Mid-day and afternoon can get rather windy and convective activity is not uncommon. A bad combination with all of the mountains. May want to have a plan B to spend the night.

You are going right over Columbia (O22). Another nice stopping spot. Gold mining town is a 1/4 mile walk from the airport. But its at 2100 and you'd have to climb back up to get to LA.

Last edited:
great fun ahead

Troy.
We have followed your videos and had some great laughs as your kids are full of energy and bring ethusiam to the adventures. My kids enjoy your videos. You are providing a great role model for your kids and should be proud! Good on you!
You will fly over S40 which is for you about 30 min flight southwest of Spokane. If customs rattles you up and you only able to fly 30 min leg.....drop into Prosser and we will top up your fuel.....then I can look over your 10:)
Have great trip!

Overnight in Redding

Change of plans already:eek: Another front is coming through here tonight so tomorrow does not look good. We have been having really crappy weather. Todays weather is perfect across the rock pile, to good to miss. So we are leaving today late afternoon. The plan is still Spokane and then overnight in Redding. Looks windy down there today but its out of the north. A great tail wind we will have. Just hope we can find a hotel in Redding. Customs and hotel booking underway. No more sleeps.:D

A great tail wind we will have. Just hope we can find a hotel in Redding. Customs and hotel booking underway. No more sleeps.:D

If Redding doesn't work out...
Willows, Sacramento, Concord, Livermore are progressively a litter further down the valley.

If getting over the Sierras is problematic ... Carson City and Minden are options.

If you get stuck in Tracy ... we'll take you to/from the motel.

Last edited:
Right next to the FBO there is a picnic table in a nice park like area. There is a good restaurant on field a little ways from the FBO. The Flight Dec.

I must have flown in there a hundred times and even soloed there in 1980.
I never knew there was a reastaurant on the field.:eek: Learn something new every day.

Troy, if you happen to fly into Concord about an hour south of Redding there is a hotel on the field. If you need anything while in Concord, I am minutes away.

Thanks everyone for all the help, ideas and offers. A will keep you all posted, should be a great flight.

Redding has an okay Chinese restaurant on the field.
As others have said, if the tailwind is too nice to stop early, there are lots of options down the valley. Livermore (KLVK) has a motel (1 mile walk) and a number of food options.

Further down is KSMX Santa Maria. Another park your plane in front of the hotel stop
then a quick jaunt onto LA

Made Redding

What a great airplane, worked most of the day, airborne at 4:00 and still make 700nm trip and land at sunset. The trip over the rock pile at 10,500 had virtually no wind. We descended into Spokane and met with customs. First thing he said when I opened the door, you off to Connecticut! :D I prepped them when I booked, so glad they played along, great bunch.

After that we climbed to 10,500 and the wind gradually got stronger. About 20kts on the tail. I expected more. The ground had lots of dust getting kicked up though. The ride was relatively smooth. The flight past mount Shasta at sunset was beautiful.

We got rewarded with a 21kt 45 degree cross wind in Redding. All and all an easy run. Kids were great, hopefully LA tomorrow afternoon.

Landed at Fullerton today. We left Redding direct to the Golden Gate Bridge. Once past the bridge we got approval for a climb. Shortly after we were told to stop the climb and turn to 240. We headed out to sea. He soon turned us south bound. A minute later we had to turn to 270. That was basically a 180. There was heavy with flap problems and basically wanted everyone out of the way. I finally got going south and back over land. The ride got rather bumpy until we got back over the valley. We got really beat up passing the last pass before the LA basin. We stayed clear of the Bravo and worked are way through with SoCal approach. Wow is LA ever big. I was glad to land, as it was a long flight with several high work load portions. 3 days here then off to San diego.

Glad you made it.
Pretty busy airspace environment down there, isn't it.
Question: Why does your track stop 50 miles short of Fullerton just shortly after 3pm?

TEC Clearance

Not that it's necessary, but one of the cool things about SoCal is its one of the few places in the country with predetermined IFR routes between airports; known as Tower Enroute Control (TEC), within these areas you never really leave the approach control coverage area. You can fly IFR without previously filing, simply call ground and ask for Tower Enroute to XYZ. From Fullerton you should be able to fly TEC to any airport in San Diego, or SoCal for that matter, which may take the stress out of VFR in the area. Look in your AFD to study the predetermined route you will be assigned. Need any help in San Diego lemme know... Derek

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/tower-en-route-control

Glad you made it.
Pretty busy airspace environment down there, isn't it.
Question: Why does your track stop 50 miles short of Fullerton just shortly after 3pm?

I did not hit ok when I landed. I am guessing I shut it off before it got the hit in. I will change the batteries to as I know it was flashing red just before LA.

Success

We finally got the kids to Disney Land in the RV10. Third time is a charm I guess. Two days was enough for us, now we can relax.

Had a great flight out of Fullerton this afternoon down to San Diego. Got some local knowledge for the best route down. It went off without an issue. But wow, I lost count of how many frequency changes for the short 30 minute flight.

We went direct to Dana Point and then down the coast just off shore to avoid the restricted, we were above it though. Smooth ride all the way. Cleared through the Bravo and into Montgomery. Nice and easy. In a cottage on the beach for the next few days. Touring by car and Seaworld. That's it, time to relax.

Planning on returning through Vegas, Salt Lake, Helena route. May stop in St George. Anyone know if they have food on the field in St George?

Good trip so far. Seeing lots of low flying aircraft flying up the beach. Looks fun. Assume minimum 500ft and so far offshore to not overfly anyone to keep it legal?

Hope for good weather next weeks departure. Looks good so far.

Sounds like a great family trip. Good job.

$5.15 fuel at 8U8, 20 miles east of Helena.

That would work well. Likely Wednesday. Any Internet there to do my e-Apis if I don't get it done before? I usually don't do it until I know I can get through the rocks. If the weather is good, I do it before.

I'll check on the Internet. I always just use my iPad via Verizon acct. I might be around that day and let you use my connection.

I'll PM you my number, if you plan on heading this way.

Welcome at our house

Troy,
If you get into weather, tired, or whatever, you and your family are welcome at our house. We are close to Glenwood Springs (GWS) but would come pick you up in Rifle (KRIL) , Aspen, or Eagle, if needed. I know you are heading up the other side of the mountains, but you never know!

Have a great trip.

Heading for Ogden Ut

Should be leaving around noon tomorrow heading to Ogden. It is like clock work here, Ifr until noon then scattered. Amazing. Hope that keeps up for tomorrow.

Winds look descent from here to there so the ride should be pretty good. Our 02 was getting filled here so we should have no trouble staying out of the heat. I was planning a stop in St George but we may pass on that if the winds and the heat are high. Both are expected.

Plan to make the last run north on Wednesday as the winds are expected to lighten by then.

Yep, you won't want to be around here for a bit. 50kt winds today, actually 80+ on Logan pass. Tomorrow is supposed to snow. Wednesday looks good

I just checked the latest taf. Looks like over 30 kts on the ground north of Vegas. Even salt lake is showing over 30 kts. New plan for now is heading for north Las Vegas as it has a east west runway. Only 25 kts there. On our arrival it will likely be rough going down though. Last spring we flew from Santa Fe to Tuscon with winds on the ground between 30 and 40 kts. Dust was everywhere and it was just no fun. Not doing that again if I can help it.
From Vegas we can get away early Wednesday morning and get right home on Wednesday. Final decision will be made in the air though checking the XM on route.

the wind must have been stronger than predicted, as the snow never settled in here and it's a beautiful day.

Good luck with California and Neveda weather today.

Made it to Henderson

Had a good run into Vegas today. After clearing Montgomery, I could not get a word in, I ended up circling between the two delta airspace until I finally got SoCal approach. It was marginal Vfr so I could not climb over the delta. It worked out fine after a couple of orbits. We soon got out of the overcast and climbed to 9500. In the climb I noticed 0gph on the fuel flow. I switch tanks, boost pump on. Mixture. No change. Fuel Pressure was good, Egts were fine. After accessing the situation, the decision was made to continue. No fuel smell, no change in power.....who needs fuel flow:). I can say one thing, I never checked the fuel pressure as many times as I did on this flight.

Any one out there have a fuel flow failure?

We bounced our way into Henderson in hopes we could land the cross wind. It ended up being only 45degrees so a none event. North Vegas was our alternate if we could not get in. 100f here now. We plan to press on home tomorrow. We could have easily made sat lake today as the winds never got as high so far as expected. Glad to take a break here, no regrets. Off to the pool!

Home safe

Got home today after a bumpy ride the whole day. Never got a break once. Back to work tomorrow. I plan to update/report with pictures soon.

You were better going up that side of the mountains. We got 4" of snow last night and snow - rain - wind all day long. And colder than heck! It is 19 now and expected to get colder. I look forward to the rest of the pictures and story. What an adventure.

I figured you were going to take a beating, at least through Montana. Still not too bad to go from Vegas to almost Calgary in a day, with a family, is a real accomplishment. Good job.

Pictures

We all love pictures. Here is a few.

Mount Shasta in the Distsance
eurnva.jpg

Shasta Lake
15cf0id.jpg

Setting Sun
2uzezqo.jpg

Just north of San Fransisco
2cj50m.jpg

The Golden Gate Bridge
72t8va.jpg

More pictures

San Diego

2usigsz.jpg

RV10 in the Sand.

ny62pu.jpg

Montgomey Field

30xan0x.jpg

Palm Springs

21kf9j5.jpg

Desert Beauty

2u4j4g1.jpg

Henderson Las Vegas

96bzf9.jpg

Last edited:
Last of the chosen ones.

Ridge west of St George UT

643szk.jpg

Zion Parks

4gj8mb.jpg

Over Ennis MT

o77vwy.jpg

Three Forks MT

34eu4pf.jpg

Townsend....Hi Brian!

28tboj.jpg

There was so many pictures, these are just a few of them.

I was at the airport in the upper right corner. Do you see me waving? I grabbed my handheld to say something, but the battery was dead.

Kris and I enjoyed your pictures and videos. Great family time you are making. We hope to meet up with you this summer, maybe at Cavanuagh bay or Sandpoint.

Btw....My house is just under the wing about where your JKB2013 logo is.

Back