What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My name is Mark, and I made a Big Mistake in my Build

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
This is a cross-post of my blog entry today and while it was a stupid mistake and one that isn't likely to be repeated by others, it hopefully has redeeming value to others. While we aren't building space shuttles as we often hear, it still needs to be treated with respect and work needs to be done the right way. In this tale, you'll see how one little mistake in reading the plans one late night had a ripple effect. Luckily this was caught in time and penance to the plane gods is now underway.

I have hesitated to write this entry since last night when I discovered this issue. It is rather embarrassing mistake and one that even as I write this I can't believe I made. However, I long ago set an expectation with myself that I needed to do this project the right way and if anything stuck in my mind after leaving the workshop, then it needed to be addressed.

As I was preparing the wings yesterday for attaching to the fuselage, I was giving the wings a visual once over. I had already known before I even touched the wings that I wanted to review everything as it's been almost two years since the wings were finished up and placed into storage. In that time I have picked up some additional skills and wanted to look at the wings with a fresh set of eyes.

As I was reviewing the torque assembly in the wing root area (the tubes that connect the flight controls and the aileron) I noticed there was some rust and corrosion on the tubes and weldaments. The tube is aluminum and the weldaments are powder coated steel. I had primed the exterior like I usually did but I was noticing the rust and corrosion at the seams of parts and near rivets. This led me to believe the problem was INSIDE the tubes, not the outside. I didn't think much more about it but it stayed in my mind. I used a scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface and the rust mostly disappeared. But it was clear it was coming from somewhere.

During the wing attach work last night I mentioned I had seen the corrosion to another builder and he was intrigued and wanted to see what had happened. I showed him and he was surprised to see it as well. I mentioned I had primed it inside and out, just as Van's had called for and so I was surprised. It was then that I mentioned HOW I primed it and thus the crux of the story. I mentioned "....well, I primed the inside just as Van's said - with Liquid Plumber". David, the other builder looked at me like I was crazy. I said "yea, I thought it was weird too, but Van's is cheap and they do unusual things". I even pulled out the plans and found the section where the tubes are made and pointed to the paragraph. Right there, in black and white it said "the inside of the tube should be primed. We recommend Liquid PRIMER..."

Ugh, now, either my plans have magically changed or at some point I misread that statement. I very much remember a late night of getting to that paragraph, I don't have any liquid plumber" and running off to Home Depot. All the while I was thinking this was an unusual method, but hey, Vans is unusual sometimes.

Well flash forward two years and the liquid plumber - while dry at the time of assembly, is mildly corrosive to metal. It was clear that the chemicals in the solution were reacting with the metals and were causing rust (on the steel weldaments) and corrosion on the aluminum pieces.

There are several places that uses these closed tubes - in fact, all of the control surface with the exception of the flaps use these tubes of varying dimensions.

Today I went back to the hangar and opened up the wings. I found that all of the control tubes in the wings were also showing signs of corrosion at the rivet joints as well. I subsequently remove all of the control tubes in each wing (the torque tube assembly in the wing root), the torque tube to bellcrank pushrod and the bellcrank to aileron pushrod. Because of the assembly technique, the only way to be absolutely sure what was inside the rods was to cut it open. Sure enough, all of the tubes were either etched (aluminum) or considerably rusted (weldaments). It was clear it was a good idea to remove all these pushrods.

I also opened up the tailcone and removed the bellcrank to elevator pushrod as it too is a pushrod style control. Similarly to the other tubes, the only way to be sure was to open it up. There was no visible corrosion on the outside like on the wing pushrods, but this wasn't good enough to be sure it was ok. I cut it opened and found it was properly primed inside with primer - not liquid plumber. I believe that since this was done at the same time as the tailcone, I had properly read that paragraph. But now it needs to be redone due to the testing.

I then thought about the other control rods in the fuselage in the forward portion of the tunnel. I thought about removing all the items to get to the pushrods and it was a lot of stuff to remove just to inspect them, especially sine the tailcone pushrod had proven to be ok. Perhaps it was just the wings I thought.

I chunked the parts I removed in the recycle bin and called it a day. When I got home, those control rods in the tunnel were rattling around in my head - clearly something wasn't settled and it triggered my "make sure it is absolutely ok". So I had decided I would open the tunnel tomorrow and do an inspection. I took a few minutes in the mean time and looked through my log. Sure enough, there were two entries that mentioned Liquid Plumber. The aileron actuation section for the wings had it right in the log entry - as my removal and testing clearly showed. And low and behold, the second entry was for the elevator control system tubes in the tunnel - had it plain as day "used liquid plumber for the primer". At least now it's confirmed.

So I have made up my replacement parts list and will sulk into Vans tomorrow and pick up the replacement parts. Will they wonder why I suddenly went from being almost done to ordering a bunch of control rods and fittings? Probably not, but at least their balance sheet will be a little higher for the week.

In the end, I wound up a bruised builder ego (I am once again humbled), a little lighter in the wallet and ultimately happy this was discovered now rather than later on.

IMG_0558_zps46aacc72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lesson

Mark

Thanks for posting. Good safety attitude. At least now you'll feel confident in those tubes.

I've always just poured my normal primer in and rolled the tube around then let it drain and dry. But you have to be careful as if the end fittings aren't in then the thickness of the paint can make them too tight to fit.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
A broader lesson

Mark, thanks for sharing. I think this mishap does provide a valuable learning opportunity.

This particular mistake is pretty unique, and would probably never have been repeated by anyone. But I do think it illustrates a broader issue that's very common, and there is a universal lesson here to take away. That lesson is, don't just follow the directions or the drawings unquestioningly.

Van's usually does things pretty well, whether by conventional or unconventional methods, but on occasion something may really not be quite up to snuff. And also, just as easily, the builder could misinterpret something, as we saw in this example. So when you come across something that doesn't quite pass the common sense smell test, it's a good idea to dig a little deeper and get to the bottom of it. Don't just do what you're told out of blind faith in Van's. When you come across something questionable, question it. You might find out that it's right after all, but now you'll understand why it's right. You will have learned something. Or, you might find out that it really was wrong, and you'll have the opportunity to make it right.

In this example, (mis)reading the directions to prime the parts with liquid plumber should have raised a red flag warranting further inquiry, so that was obviously a miss. But kudos to Mark for the diligence to re-inspect the structures when taking them out of storage, which allowed him to find the problem at that point. Kudos for noticing the signs of corrosion, and for then following up on it. For realizing that something was amiss, figuring out exactly what happened and why, and then taking the necessary measures to correct the problem (replacing the affected parts).

While your story is atypical in the build cycle it did make me chuckle only because I could see myself reading the line "use liquid primer" and comprehending "liquid plumber".

Funny story. Thanks for posting. Use the tubes for irrigating your lawn. I'll bet the flow rate is outstanding! :D

Great Story!

I know it was not that funny to you but you did the right thing and those tubes will not be on your mind after you get them done right.

I think this will add a new dimension to the primer war.
Liquid Plumber or henceforth known as Charlie Waffle special.:D

Mark my friend, I dont think that any of us in this business have gone mistake free. Your mind was telling you something wasnt right, but you couldnt put your finger on it. Fortunately for you, you keep awesome build records, and found your problem. Its also a great testament to you that you have someone else come look at this before you test flew it.
I'm proud of you for sharing this with us. After all-----you are building an airplane, not a washing machine, and not everyone can do it.

You will be fine, and have a beautiful, well build RV10.
Tom

I kept waiting for the punch line, too late for April Fools, then finally realized you were serious!:D

Late night build sessions...

I am often up until 1 or 2 in the morning working on my project and I could see myself do this exact same thing. It was a lesson for me to knock off if I am tired and to pay special attention to the plans.
It takes a real man to admit when he's wrong...and you sir are a real man. Thanks for your honesty and for sharing. It has taught me a lesson.

Scartoma

This is not unusual at all. I've made plans errors too. I appreciate Mike posting it.
I'm not a doctor, but I think it's called Scartoma. The mind sees what it wants to see. We've all seen that web page with all the letters missing and yet we can still read it.
Dislexia can also cause errors with numbers and letters too so it's really important to read carefully and if necessary, put it down for a while or get a second set of eyes on the plans.
For this reason, in Journalism school, we were taught to read the text backwards when editing. You would be suprised how many errors the mind just glosses over.
Thanks for posting this Mike. It should be it the Tips forum too.

"Call Sign" Proposal...

Mark "The Plumber" Cooper. Sorry, buddy, but it's just too good not to embrace it. I about peed my pants reading your post. :D You're a tough guy to share such a great story with your VAF family...

So glad you found this before it killed you or someone else.

I wonder how the NTSB report would have read??:eek:

As others have said, took guts to share, thanks for doing so.

What I take from this is (1) listen to that inner voice; (2) take the time to review long past work - especially when it comes time for mating sub assemblies; (3) realize that a corrective measure "during the build" is an order of magnitude easier than "after the build".

A Bose electrical engineer said the cost of an error multiplies 10x as it progresses thru the development stages. (it may not be exactly 10x but the concept is sound).

Find the error when you are working on paper - call that $1
Find the error when you are working with a single piece - call that $10
Find the error when pieces are combined - call that $100
Find the error with the prototype - call that $1000
Find the error in the test run - call that $10,000
Find the error once production units are in the field - call that $100,000​

While it may not always have a significant dollar value, the labor value may easily be a factor of 10x.

Thanks for sharing the "teachable moment".

Mark,

While I certainly appreciate your openess and candor regarding your mistake, you know this is going to haunt you forever. Everytime a RV'er is going to see you, you know they are going to be thinking of Liquid Plumber. :eek:

bob

Recycle

Suggest that you get the 'practice parts' out of your shop asap - you don't need the reminders there to remind you of your mistake. Best to you.

I'm really glad you shared this, Mark. It's a great example that when one is working on their plane while really tired, it might be best to call it a day. I think the FAA even has a notice about this, directed at A&P's!

This is really a mistake anyone could make. Van's may wish to consider re-wording that sentence in future manual revisions.

Oh, and count my vote for "Rooter" as your callsign. ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So glad you found this before it killed you or someone else.

I wonder how the NTSB report would have read??

As others have said, took guts to share, thanks for doing so.

Mike, no matter what the report said, I'm pretty sure the plaintiffs could get a $26 mill judgement from liquid plumber. They are obviously the negligent party here.

I should feel bad for you, but I can't help laughing, not at you, but you must admit, this is quite the funny story, and yes, it could happen to anybody.
Let me know what tubing you need. I may have some surplus and you are more than welcome to what I have if it helps out.

A Wise Man One Said ...

This event reminds me of a lesson from my one of my first paying jobs in software development ...

We were a 3 person team doing a word processing system for Hill Airforce Base back in 1977. This was before PC's or anything like that, so we had to do everything ourselves - hardware and software. There was an electrical engineer and two software guys. It was difficult and it took lots of hours. Late one night, the hardware engineer told me one of his personal rules. It's okay to work all day long, and late into the night, but "Never turn on the soldering iron after midnight". The point is, late at night after a long day, he didn't trust ability to do things right.

Maybe it doesn't apply here, but I know I've made a few mistakes in my build by pressing on when I should have taken a break to think things through and get a bit of rest.

By the way, that word processing system we did in 1977 later morphed into WordPerfect, which used to be a major player in the personal computer software business.

Mark, you've made it as human being.

Great story, I'll bet it gets around Van's as the "liquid plumber" tale. You could have kept is secret, but the cat is out of the bag. Except for the expense and pain, it is one of the most humorous home building events ever.

Press on, man! The airplane will fly great with the new control tubes.

Maybe you could make a few bucks advertising Liquid Plumber on your airplane. :)

And the beat goes on...Mark your -10 looks great from the photos I've seen. I have been in the working tired mode as well. I think the diffference between alert and tired would be "what? Liquid Plumber? OK" and What? what idiot would use liquid plumber!" :). On a side note look how well the pushrods actually held up in Oregon (damp) with acid sitting in them for a year or two without any primer. You still had to cut them apart!

On a side note look how well the pushrods actually held up in Oregon (damp) with acid sitting in them for a year or two without any primer. You still had to cut them apart!

Yep... And they were cleeeeeeeeean as a whistle too! :D

P.S. If the moniker "Rooter" sticks, Mark, I'll buy you a couple beers at the SOS tent if I see you at Oshkosh this year. Thanks again for one of the funniest stories I've read this year.

The part of the story I like best is that you had to run out to Home Depot and get some. Priceless story.

Like everyone has said...it could happen to anyone. But it sure makes me chuckle!!:D

When I thought I was finished building and ready for final assembly, I decided that I needed to go through the plans one more time for my own peace of mind. I did every step of every page. It took several days and almost killed me, when what I wanted to be doing was putting the wings on. I didn't find any Liquid Plumber, but I did find several things that needed attention. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jim Berry
RV-10

How many times in your lifetime have you heard the term "Liquid Plumber"?

How many times in your lifetime have you heard the term "Liquid Primer" ?

As far as I know, all primer is liquid!!! There is thinned and not thinned.

There is a certain % of this that is the fault of the proof reader of the instructions.

Look at a common utility bill...... "return this part" vs "retain this part".
You did good. It was a fun read. You are One in ten thousand.......;)

Last edited:
Touche'

So I was all geared up to laugh about your story, then someone kindly reminded me that I'm the idiot who stuck my hand into a running propeller; so bad things can happen to good people...ESPECIALLY when you're fatigued or tired (I could "point" this out from experience, but my pointer finger makes less of a point now)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

This event reminds me of a lesson from my one of my first paying jobs in software development ...

We were a 3 person team doing a word processing system for Hill Airforce Base back in 1977. This was before PC's or anything like that, so we had to do everything ourselves - hardware and software. There was an electrical engineer and two software guys. It was difficult and it took lots of hours. Late one night, the hardware engineer told me one of his personal rules. It's okay to work all day long, and late into the night, but "Never turn on the soldering iron after midnight". The point is, late at night after a long day, he didn't trust ability to do things right.

Similar rule - I was working on my panel the other night when some locals stopped by to sightsee, I was finishing a beer and they handed me another one. I started picking up tools and they asked "Are you done? Already?" and I told them I have a one-beer rule about working on the airplane. When I get to the bottom of that first beer, I'm done working and the second beer is spent putting away tools. I've learned through trial and error that second-beer-work is WAY too often needing to be redone during the next work session.

Maybe it doesn't apply here, but I know I've made a few mistakes in my build by pressing on when I should have taken a break to think things through and get a bit of rest.

By the way, that word processing system we did in 1977 later morphed into WordPerfect, which used to be a major player in the personal computer software business.

As I recall, Fred Brooks in The Mythical Man-Month (a book which still sits on my desk, and is invaluable for software project management) found that programmers, after about 6 hours of coding, were pretty much done for the day and should do something else (documentation, planning, whatever). After that time, they just ended up making errors that would have to be fixed the next day, or making essentially no progress.

Fatigue is a *major* concern during our large project push-ups around here, and we work very hard to prevent or mitigate it, because the consequences can be pretty severe.

Didn't find this funny at all.....

...and I am VERY glad that you uncovered this and are correcting it. Kudos to you Mark. Actually it sent shivers up my spine as I read it, having had a very expensive lesson in this very same phenomenon some years ago. The good part about it was that it occurred in the cast iron pipes running from my kitchen sink drain downstairs under my basement floor, and did not happen in an airplane. The previous owners of my home were devout do-it-your-selfers, and they must have poured every kind of chemical down that kitchen sink you could think of, including Crystal Drano, et. al.

When the sewer smell in the basement became so bad that we could not stand it any more, I called the plumbers. $10,000.00 later they dug up all the severely corroded cast iron pipe to reveal completely corroded bottoms, and in some cases there there BB holes where the crystals had settled and eaten directly through the pipe.

From that day on I hoped that nobody would every have to experience that sort of thing. It makes me shudder to think that you probably would not have had any type of warning or real indication that something was wrong with the push rods in the plane until the very moment of critical failure. Very glad you caught this.

Vans, please change your wording for "liquid primer" in the plans, in addition to the myriad of other changes to instructions that fellow builders have pointed out for years, but I digress.........

Yikes, nice recovery to an honest mistake.
It would be interesting to to cut the tubes open lengthwise and see just what happened internally. Just out of sheer curiosity.

Liquid what?

Don't think I've ever heard of 'Liquid Plumber' here in Australia.... though we have similar products under different brand names ('Drano' to name one), so luckily I did not get that confusion.....:rolleyes:

Liquid plumber

Charlie,

Thanks for having the guts to share. We've all had those moments where we did something similar. I've had a couple of those "why did they do it that way" moments, and almost always it was because I was misreading the plans or just motoring along and the old noggin wasn't fully engaged. Good reminder to us all to go back and double check and get a second opinion if we're not sure.

Dale

Fatigue

Mark,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. I'm sure it took some guts to post this! As others have already stated, We've all made mistakes in the building of our aircraft however, Your comical and innocent miss reading of the plans has put a smile on the faces of many people Around the world this morning. I'm :):):) THANKFUL :):):) you caught your mistake now and we're reading about it on Vans Air Force rather than an NTSB report. Your story illustrates one extremely important point, one should never ever under estimate the effects of fatigue! Perhaps you should pass your story on to the folks at Vans aircraft, surely they would get a chuckle too and they might use it to illustrate the importance of only tackling our projects with a fresh and well rested mind. In the builders manual where it states liquid primer they should add (NOT liquid plumber!.... Yes it's been done).

Last edited:
I know that more than once I read something in the plans and the brain processed something else and something had to be re-done $$. Don't be too hard on yourself Mark and thanks for sharing. Lots of people will not admit to making a mistake.

Two now- infamous call signs ...

So I was all geared up to laugh about your story, then someone kindly reminded me that I'm the idiot who stuck my hand into a running propeller; so bad things can happen to good people...ESPECIALLY when you're fatigued or tired (I could "point" this out from experience, but my pointer finger makes less of a point now)! :)

Mark and Stein are special guys to display their mistakes right here in front of God and everyone. I have great respect for them both. And never have I seen two guys get call signs so quickly - or perfectly. "Rooter" and "Pointer" :D (I also heard Stein was elected captain of his bowling team after his incident. Any truth to that?)

Liquid plumber

I'm close to that part of the build. I will be reading very carefully. Thanks for the heads up!

It's all in how you read instructions..........

Subject: MARINE CORPS EXERCISE REGIMEN FOR PEOPLE OVER 40
>
> MARINE CORPS EXERCISE REGIMEN FOR PEOPLE OVER 40
> Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room on each side.
>
> With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms
> straight out from your sides. Hold them there as long
> as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.
>
> Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for
> just a bit longer.
>
> After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.
>
> Then try 50-lb potato bags, and then eventually, try to
> get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each
> hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full
> minute. (I'm at this level.)
> *
> *
> After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Mark,
All of us has made mistakes in the course of the build. I think it's great that you discovered yours before it became a safety issue (especially with a family airplane). It turned out to be a good story that will cause smiles, and it only hurts in the wallet!

Jim Bower
St. Louis
RV-6A N143DJ (flying)

EAA Tech Counselor

Mark,

If you haven't done it already, maybe it's time to get an EAA Tech Counselor over to visit your project. There are lots of us in the area and it's a free service. The more visits, the better IMHO.

Vans, please change your wording for "liquid primer" in the plans, in addition to the myriad of other changes to instructions that fellow builders have pointed out for years, but I digress.........

Why would Vans need to change the wording in the manual? As far as we know (and most likely in reality), this is the only instance of this happening. I think it is great the OP has shared his story, and I do not want to make him look silly at this point, but as an airplane builder you really need to know to not put a strong acid or base in a permanent location in your airplane that is easily corroded by said acid or base. The etch that many people use for protection is probably not nearly as strong as liquid plumber and it is only on your parts for a minute or less.

Back