What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT single or dual AHRS

Lan Vinh Do

Well Known Member
Hi
I have a rv-10 that i haven't built. It was built with a single AHRS and 3 screen ( horizon HS X 3) first flight 2008.

I upgrade one of the screen to a horizon HX 2 years ago and i add a back up battery TCW to back-up my AHRS, My Horizon HX and a back up ADI 2.

I am really please with my HX. I think next winter Santa will upgrade another HS to a HX.

My question is should I upgrade to a dual AHRS too. Is there anybody that had failure with a GRT AHRS. I have back up instrument. I fly IFR. Just want to know i i really need to put the 1500$ more for the Dual AHRS upgrade when i try to save money for my RV-7 project. What will bother me the most is the kama sutra that i will need to do for the extra wiring and plumbing. Where should we stop for back-up of back-up.

Lan Vinh Do

Hi
I have a rv-10 that i haven't built. It was built with a single AHRS and 3 screen ( horizon HS X 3) first flight 2008.

I upgrade one of the screen to a horizon HX 2 years ago and i add a back up battery TCW to back-up my AHRS, My Horizon HX and a back up ADI 2.

I am really please with my HX. I think next winter Santa will upgrade another HS to a HX.

My question is should I upgrade to a dual AHRS too. Is there anybody that had failure with a GRT AHRS. I have back up instrument. I fly IFR. Just want to know i i really need to put the 1500$ more for the Dual AHRS upgrade when i try to save money for my RV-7 project. What will bother me the most is the kama sutra that i will need to do for the extra wiring and plumbing. Where should we stop for back-up of back-up.

Lan Vinh Do

I would spend the $$$ on a completely independent attitude instrument rather than a dual AHRDS. My thinking is that if you fly real IMC, you need THREE separate attitude indicators. If one shows different from the other two you know which one is giving you bad information.

My three are Dynon Skyview AHRDS, Dynon D6 and Garmin AERA. Now I also have a TRIO wing leveler that can track either my Garmin 430w or my Garmin AERA. :cool:

Last edited:
Since you have the ADI II, and I'm assuming you have the GPS option, I would go with dual AHRS if it were my RV-10.

Galin is correct in the you really need three devices to ensure appropriate redundacy for flight into IMC. The third unit is always the tie breaker should either of you primary AHRS goes bad. He must have overlooked that you had an ADI II already installed.

In my RV-10 I have dual AHRS plus a Gemini PFD.

bob

Last edited:
completely independent attitude instrument

I think i will go with a 3rd completely independent attitude instrument. It make sense.

I already have a GRT Hx, ADI 2, I also have a Trutrak Digiflight II VSGV that is independent.

I may harwire a dynon D1. I look like a very good back-up, easy installation, low cost and even in a pitot/static failure, it is still good.. Just need to consider the wind on landing because of the gps derived speed

I may also have the app xavion permanently runing on my iphone too installed on a rigid mounth and with the charging cable plug. I don't want to run it on my ipad because i use it for my approach plate on foreflight.

I will stil upgrade to a second Hx because i love it.

Thank you for all the input.

I think i will go with a 3rd completely independent attitude instrument. It make sense.

I already have a GRT Hx, ADI 2, I also have a Trutrak Digiflight II VSGV that is independent.

I may harwire a dynon D1. I look like a very good back-up, easy installation, low cost and even in a pitot/static failure, it is still good.. Just need to consider the wind on landing because of the gps derived speed

I may also have the app xavion permanently runing on my iphone too installed on a rigid mounth and with the charging cable plug. I don't want to run it on my ipad because i use it for my approach plate on foreflight.

I will stil upgrade to a second Hx because i love it.

Thank you for all the input.

Although I really like the Dynon D1, for $200 more you can instal a D6 that has full AI capabilities. Just my 2cents. :cool:

Save the money for the -7.

Hi Lan,

You have everything you need in the -10; single AHRS, ADI, and autopilot. This is a great setup. These all give attitude data and are separate. Anything more is only going to increase your workload.

The benefit of dual GRT AHRS is the automatic cross-checking and annunciation, it lowers workload.

Currently in the -10, if an attitude source disagrees with the others you can cross-check and fail the erroneous one. Practice what system failure looks like and practice again.

This is my $0.02 towards your -7. :)

Best regards,

Wow

Comming from you Carlos, i will take it for more than 0.02$
The seller of the AHRS that tell you that you don't need to buy the dual AHRS. It's really honest.

Thank you again.

Back