What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII Fuel Injection System

EFII Plans

I am installing one of EFII?s electronic ignition systems on my Lycoming IO-360 angle-valve.

I have had the opportunity to see two Lycomings modified to incorporate a complete EFII system. With a very high-energy spark over a full 15 degrees of crankshaft rotation and direct intake-tube injection, these EFII-based Lycoming engines have clearly come alive, performance-wise, compared to their former magneto and carburetor or mechanical fuel injection configurations. Also, from examining these engines, I can say that EFII?s build quality is obviously very high. For example, the crank sensor is a work of art compared to what you see from other electronic ignition providers.

If I weren?t so far along with my engine build (it?s completed!), I would be installing EFII?s full dual electronic ignition and direct fuel injection system along with EFII?s Bus Manager for redundant power. For now, I?ll pull one of my magnetos and install one EFII electronic ignition system in its place. In the future, I?ll pull the other magneto and add another EFII electronic ignition system. After that, I?ll replace my Bendix injector with EFII?s direct-injection system.

That?s where I?m headed . . . EFII looks good to me!

Bill Palmer :)

Hey all,
I have been conversing with Robert Paisley from EFII the last few days and I can attest to his prompt replies and professional attitude in regards to our needs.
I will be pulling my intake tubes and starter ring gear when I head overseas again in June and send them in for modification and will be installing the full system when I get back again in August.
I'm leaning towards the full EFII system to include the ignition also.
Jeff

1 year old quote

Hi Gang:

Looks interesting. Anybody have a ballpark price for the complete 4 cylinder system?

cheers, terry.

About a year ago, Robert quoted me $4,995 for the complete system.
This includes the complete Electronic Fuel Injection and Dual Electronic Ignition system, all coils, pumps, injectors, wiring, crank trigger, Lyc mechanical pieces, adapters etc. SDS programmer and computer and sensors. Additional items that may be required are an Andair stacked fuel valve, fuel return plumbing to each tank. You have some options in setting up your electrical bus. I recommend using the Bus Manager to create a protected Essential Bus for the electronics:

More now

A friend has been looking into this system and the complete deal is around $6000 now. A touch more than a conventional system but not much.

Robert is a really good guy and I'm sure the system is top notch. I have researched it as well. My only concern is 1) lack of time on the system. I don't believe there are any customer aircraft flying. 2) completely electrically dependent system. I know this isn't a huge deal but still a little concerning. 3) How will it operate in the extreme heat? 4) Installation complexity and set up.

I love the idea but having learned painfully with a couple of other "new" products, I'll be waiting till some hours are wracked up on the system.

It looks extremely similar to the the Precision Eagle system.

I highly recommend you give Robert a call. I'm using his boost pump and it's very well engineered. I would seriously consider using his ignition system if I had a four banger. I may have an option in the future but for now I'm a magneto guy. Give him a call, he is an RV driver and has tons of experience in all forms of engine injection, ignition etc.

EFII systems

Hi Rick,
Can can cover the gamut now with ignitions or full engine management for 4 or 6 cylinder Lyc engines. We have a number of new system part numbers that will show up on our website soon. We have been shipping dual ECU systems for about six months now. This is a good option for those who want the maximum in system redundancy. Our single ECU systems are extremely reliable and a good option as well (that's what I use).

We are looking forward to a strong 2013 as we continue to expand our offering.
More info on our website at www.flyefii.com.

Robert Paisley

Last edited:
EFII useage

Does anybody have an update about actual usage?

Aloha,i've been running Roberts fuel and dual ign setup on my -7 (mattituck IO-360) for the past 28hrs..no issues great performance and gas mileage.
FADEC performance :)

Updates Please

It has been 3 years since anyone has made any comments on the EFii electronics ignition & fuel injection system. I am looking a a Titan IOX-340 engine. I'm comparing it to the Vans XIO-320. The 320 is rated at 160hp and the Titan 340 says 188hp (using premium Mogas) The 340 is more expensive but in the big scheme of things (total price of completed build over the expected life of flying the RV9A). Any updates? I need to order my finishing kit and have some decisions to make.

update

"Any updates? I need to order my finishing kit and have some decisions to make"

check your PM's
lee

It has been 3 years since anyone has made any comments on the EFii electronics ignition & fuel injection system.

Any updates? I need to order my finishing kit and have some decisions to make.

"Any updates? I need to order my finishing kit and have some decisions to make"

There have been a few other threads about EFII----just nothing new posted on this thread that originated almost 5 years ago, try searching for more info on newer threads.

I have been running my newly minted RV10 I0540 w/Roberts dual ignition and electronic fuel injection for about 80 hours now. The motor is extremely smooth and I cannot yet attest to fuel burn. We are still trying to perfect a better start when cold, but otherwise I am very, very happy with the system, plus Robert understands service-he will take care of you.

EFII System

I installed it 20 months ago, and love it. I can now fly inverted acro, and have seen noticable fuel economy improvements and more power, up to a high of 75RPM higher ground static. Probably averages 50 to 60RPM higher though.

Many many updates.... A quick search will show them.
We just started our engine last month on the full system. Super simple. Started right away. Runs super smooth, idles surprisingly low... Can't wait to fly.

I have 150 hours (over 15 months) on Robert's Dual EFII system in my 7a, and would not change a single thing. The engine is smooth, purrs at idle, and has excellent power. I fly with the throttle at the firewall all the time, always looking for speed versus fuel savings, and I'm burning on average 9.6 gallons/hour with an I/O 360 built by the Barretts of Oklahoma. I have dialed things back to test speeds as low fuel burn settings and while I can get fuel burn into the 6.5 - 7.0 gals/hour range and speeds around 145 - 150 knots, I just want to go fast so I push the throttle forward typically cruising between 170 and 175 knots true depending on altitude and aircraft loading.

The 7a is hangered in Tahoe where most of the year the temps are very low in the mornings. I pre-heat the engine when temps are below 60F. When starting, I do enrich by 50% via the fuel mixture knob, and the engine comes to life after a few blades. After the initial "cold start", I leave the mixture knob centered, and never touch it again until the next cold start. Via the programming interface, I could adjust further the fuel requirements for very cold starts, but I know have a very consistent, and known start procedure that is very simple.

During run-up at my field elevation (6200 MSL), I can *just* barely hold the plane with the brakes if I give it full throttle, and the static RPM is near 2500. If I try that at sea level, the brakes won't hold the aircraft at full power, unless I'm at max gross weight. If it's just me and 1/2 tanks, forget it, the brakes won't hold the plane stationary at full power during the static runup -- it will creep forward, skidding the tires.

I would highly recommend Roberts EFII system. Robert's support is excellent -- the best you will find, and his products are top quality.

Michael O'Brien
N707SM, 2009 RV-7a, Barrett IO-360, Paisley's EFII, Constant-speed prop

Back