What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39 and TFR's

n700jl

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the GDL 39 will display TFR's on the G3X? I know that it will do weather and traffic but I can not find any info on TFR's. Thank you!

Does anyone know if the GDL 39 will display TFR's on the G3X? I know that it will do weather and traffic but I can not find any info on TFR's. Thank you!

Hello Jon,

Absolutely! Just like with the portable products, G3X will display TFRs provided by the GDL39 ADS-B receiver.

Thanks,
Steve

Not all TFrs...

We were flying back from Oregon to SF Bay Area and, fortunately, I had done a careful briefing with foreflight before leaving (and through DUATS). There were lots of fire TFRs along the route and we had to thread our way around them.

In the air I powered up the GDL-39 with Garmin Pilot and NONE of the fire TFRs showed up. Just the airspace/POTUS/Military TFRs.

So, heads up, check the official sources. I also check tfr.faa.gov on the ground just before I depart.

Neil

There are also a couple Fire TFR's in Oregon. While flying Saturday one of them popped up on my 696 with GDL right away that was probably 100 miles away. I was actually headed straight towards another one which was next to my destination which didn't show up. I was flying with a friend who had XM and it did show up on his 696. As I approached the TFR it did finally pop up when I was probably within 30 miles. So perhaps in your case it would have showed up eventually if you would have got close enough.

My guess is that the 696 & GDL was only displaying the data it was getting from the FIS-B ground stations. So there was probably a delay in getting the information from the ground stations or I had to get closer before receiving the data from a ground station for the TFR showed up. No matter, as I had plenty of time to avoid the TFR once displayed. I've noticed that free FIS-B data is not as good as XM, but it's free.

Back