What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairing a friends RV

wyoflyer

Can I legally repair a friends RV? Can I charge for this service? Can I return it to service?

Dave,
You didnt state what the damage was. As a repairman technically you can only sign off work on your own airplane unless the type work you are doing falls under what a pilot can accomplish IE preventative maintenance. If memory serves me right any thing requiring a major repair or alteration or will require an IA for return to service.
Ryan

Can I legally repair a friends RV? Can I charge for this service? Can I return it to service?

Anyone can legally repair an experimental amateur-built aircraft and return it to service. Charging for it may not be a good idea unless you are an A&P.

Dave,
You didnt state what the damage was. As a repairman technically you can only sign off work on your own airplane unless the type work you are doing falls under what a pilot can accomplish IE preventative maintenance. If memory serves me right any thing requiring a major repair or alteration or will require an IA for return to service.
Ryan

The repairman certificate has nothing to do with repair and maintenance. It only allows the holder to complete and sign off the condition inspection on the aircraft for which it is issued. An IA is never required for anything on an experimental amateur-built aircraft.

Thanks for the responses guys. The damage was fairly eextensive (ground loop). I'm sure I can repair it but my brother posed the questions to me. He is an A&P, and an IA and is trying tO compare certificated to experimental....always a confusing issue.

"Return to Service"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinkin' the words "Returned to Service" may not be appropriate for experimental aircraft.

"Found to be in a condition for safe operation" is what I see in logbooks more often. A repairman or an A&P can make this statement.

Not sure what log entry would be made by someone repairing an experimental aircraft if that person was not either a repairman or an A&P. Perhaps just a statement of work performed, with no mention of returning to service or condition.

Mel?

Anyone can legally repair an experimental amateur-built aircraft and return it to service. Charging for it may not be a good idea unless you are an A&P.

If anyone can do the work, what is the difference in cahrging for it?

Other than liability of course, and that could be similar with or without an A&P ticket.

I say rebuild it yourself and charge, but have an A&P look over your shoulder and sign off a conditional inspection at the end for his separate fee...:)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinkin' the words "Returned to Service" may not be appropriate for experimental aircraft.

"Found to be in a condition for safe operation" is what I see in logbooks more often. A repairman or an A&P can make this statement.

Not sure what log entry would be made by someone repairing an experimental aircraft if that person was not either a repairman or an A&P. Perhaps just a statement of work performed, with no mention of returning to service or condition.

Mel?

Yep, That's pretty much it!

Phase 1 ?

Sorry for any misinformation with my original post. Mel, would a major repair or alteration require the AC go back into a phase 1 flight test for a given period of time? And if so who determines how long?
Ryan

Sorry for any misinformation with my original post. Mel, would a major repair or alteration require the AC go back into a phase 1 flight test for a given period of time? And if so who determines how long?
Ryan

Normally you would do a solo test flight after the repair, but going back into phase I is not a requirement.
A major alteration, on the other hand, does require returning to phase I for a minimum of 5 hours. This is assuming that your operating limitations allow this. Earlier operating limitations require a recurrent airworthiness inspection. Remember, the operating limitations issued as part of your airworthiness certificate, is the controlling document. Read this document closely.

If you have the earlier operating limitations and would like to update them to the latest version, your local FSDO or a DAR with function codes 46 and 33 can amend yours.

Last edited:
Repairing a friends rv

WyoFlyer: Several of us helped a buddy rebuild his-9A extensively damaged in a nose gear collapse. When finished, he called the local FSDO and asked if they wanted to reinspect. The answer was "No, but place the aircraft back in Phase I for 5 hours, when complete sign off the Phase I and press". Dan

If you have the earlier operating limitations and would like to update them to the latest version, your local FSDO or a DAR with function codes 46 and 33 can amend yours.

This can be done during an N number change also.

Here we go again

With the FSDO's knowledge of experimental paper work.

When I. changed my N number a while back I specifically asked to get new ops specs. My friendly fed asked why and I tried to tell him the difference in old and new. He said there really was no difference and told me he didn't want to issue new ones. My original op lims were issued in early 2001.

I still would like to have the newer one just in case I do any major upgrades.

Actually Jerry.....

I went back and looked at some of my files early 2001 and he's right. The op lims haven't changed much since then. The paragraph allowing you to do major changes and place back into phase I yourself should be in your op lims.

If you still want to update to the latest, I can amend your AW and op lims.

972-784-7544

WyoFlyer: Several of us helped a buddy rebuild his-9A extensively damaged in a nose gear collapse. When finished, he called the local FSDO and asked if they wanted to reinspect. The answer was "No, but place the aircraft back in Phase I for 5 hours, when complete sign off the Phase I and press". Dan

Never ever rely on what a FSDO says on a phone call with regards to experimentals. As others have said, the only thing that matters is that you are complying with the Op Lims. I assure you, when a problem arises, any conversation you may have had will long be forgotten or ignored and the only thing insurance,FAA, and the courts will care about pertaining to this is STRICT compliance with the Op Lims.

Exactly!

Like Kahuna says, an FAA inspector does NOT have the authority to override regulations. YOU are responsible for operating your aircraft in accordance with your operating limitations.

Back