What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Garmin Autopilot services on finished RV9

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
How difficult is it to install Garmin Autopilot roll and pitch Servos (GSA 28) on a finished RV9? From the drawings the pitch doesn't look too bad, but the roll looks like it might be difficult due to limited access to the wing structure.

Does anyone have installation instructions that came with the mounting kits?

Thanks,
Michael-

If it?s like the 7, which I?m assuming it is, then Installing the servos really isn?t a bad job. The tough part is the wiring. What autopilot do you currently have? How are you going to control the autopilot/servos? What EFIS do you have? You can?t control the autopilot/servos with the first generation G3x EFIS.

Garmin autopilot

The roll servo install is easier than the pitch servo. You pretty much remove the bottom bracket from the aileron bell crank and replace it with the new one that the servo is attached too. The wiring is the hardest part.
Here's a few pictures near the bottom of this page: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/2017Flying.htm

I have the non-touch Garmin G3X screens and they controls the servos very nicely!

Last edited:
....I have the non-touch Garmin G3X screens and they controls the servos very nicely!

Interesting. I was led to believe that the non-touch G3x couldn?t control the new servos. I stand corrected. Thanks!!

It can certainly be done Michael. Here is a picture of the one I installed in my 9A.

2014-05-06+16.36.21.jpg

Mark I don't have an EFIS. Just basic round avionics. I'm thinking of upgrading to an IFR capable airplane based on Garmin G3X Touch and the GTN 650 or GNX 375 (haven't decided which yet).

Darin thanks for the picture!

The roll servo seems pretty straight forward then.

Thanks,
Michael-

Back