What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SnF and OSH NOTAM review

N941WR

Legacy Member
When I was President of EAA 309 in Charlotte, NC, we instituted NOTAM review sessions prior to the major fly-in's.

We would reserve a room the the main library, ask those attending to bring a copy of the NOTAM, pen/pencil, paper, etc. and volunteers who have flown the approach before talk through it and answer questions.

If you can have a projector available, you can "fly" the NOTAM on Google Earth.

Good luck and fly safe!

Last edited:
Bill, that is a great idea.

For folks flying to OSH the first time, the procedure may seem really strange-----but it works well, and after doing it a few times you realize how much thought and effort must have gone into developing it.

I like it!

At Chapter 301, in Denver, we always discuss Airventure plans and lessons learned, but we've never truly worked through the NOTAM. I think we might do that this year. Great idea!

OSH

I would hope that the people in power at OSH would give some thought to a second arrival procedure two runways why not a second point Ripon is getting a little crowded.
Bob

I would hope that the people in power at OSH would give some thought to a second arrival procedure two runways why not a second point Ripon is getting a little crowded.
Bob

They always are looking for improvements. Getting every landing aircraft through the SAME point helps ATC get order in the arrival flow. A 2nd VFR arrival would be dangerous and require more ATC work plus radio traffic.

Agreed, half mile in trail is easy for pilots to accomplish but it's too much for a single runway - splitting that traffic thins the mix and makes for a (more) comfortable landing spacing. Two initial visual points would require more spacing - which is going to be difficult in practice.

Back