What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Assist Handle - Available for Retrofit?

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I was just looking at the recently posted pictures from the Synergy fly-in. Does anyone know if that handy looking cockpit entry/egress handle is available for retrofit to earlier airplanes? (Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread that my search does not show up.)

Hi John -- As I recall someone installed a nice drawer pull handle from Home Depot at the top of their RV-12 front panel -- I think it may be in the Modifications thread? Snowing yet at the Lake? -- David

I was just looking at the recently posted pictures from the Synergy fly-in. Does anyone know if that handy looking cockpit entry/egress handle is available for retrofit to earlier airplanes? (Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread that my search does not show up.)

When I was at Van's this summer Rian told me the access handle would be available.
i-2S8cjzc.png

Also the strengthening plates for the canopy rails should become available.
i-HBrTr94.png

Since they are still ramping up the iS fuselage production, I would give them a while before trying to order these parts.

Correct.
It will be available as retrofitable parts (once the RV-12iS fuselage kit deliveries are under way (still planned for sometime this month - October)

FYI, the design involves add more than just a handle. To allow it to take any abuse than users are likely to ever subject it to, the installation also incorporates two narrow longitudinal ribs that extend between the firewall and the instrument panel, and are riveted to the fwd top skin.

There are a few other retrofitable parts also.
The stabilator tips, redesigned canopy latch, and gear leg opening closeouts will also retrofit to Gen. 1 fuselages.

Thanks for chiming in Scott. I figured there had to be some structural beefing up to support the handle, and I certainly wouldn't cob in a hardware store handle! Sounds like the timing might be right for a few upgrades at the next CI in the spring.

I liked the handle idea and found my 12 a challenge to get into and out of, if my age induced arthritis was having a bad day :) I machined up a handle from 6061 T6. The Vans handle is shorter and attaches to the open panel. I made mine wide enough to attach through the vertical angle structure directly behind the panel face. This is the strongest area to get a hold of. The bracing from the panel forward is not a bad idea. I think it was driven by the preference for the shorter and lighter handle Vans used. In other words, mine is not bending anything and I did not install the forward bracing.

handel.jpg

handel.jpg
handel.jpg

Improved Canopy latch

Anyplace on Van's site where I can see some drawings or better photos of the new Canopy latch? Also, will there be some announcement when they are ready? Or a part number?

THANKS

Wayne 120241/W143WM

Anyplace on Van's site where I can see some drawings or better photos of the new Canopy latch? Also, will there be some announcement when they are ready? Or a part number?

THANKS

Wayne 120241/W143WM

There are a couple of good photos in the November Kitplanes.

Back