What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control movement

Brent

I will be flying someone else?s newly built RV7. I would like to check the angular movement of the aileron and elevators, but cannot find the reference. I believe it should be in Section 15, but cannot find it in my RV8 documentation.

I would just like to be able to check how many degrees up and down.

Thanks, Brent O

RV7 Construction manual

Just be sure there are positive stops for all extremes.

-srrb2IdMVGp780eOY5hR_0TSBeBnY8izOtGpPkv3_Q-E9QO_2cJBTYYtAnffGlkZ2LBQbJaLpRe60WD1XbXpb24X6lxFAmg00Nyns3AHbp-VL--ED4_ZsXpARtErk8Z5BAFHyFf4dVDRUQB3hse1vcqA1EJWowcb3yqma3JB8HkIokXWHmByC0OoEDSeFNsTrpYIoDaKoI6XqN2wdgA7zsHoDCFZv76ANGihWe4iRkLOxYkXe68l_g31FLxq9Lp8iRouy76w_o1yhvKkGH5gzKcAWBQ8whCMZBcMoIN0ZI6lG79qDLBbjC6ShHyYIpBBJTOSepaTbL2n4sAd2t7vxKNOFohcbwnnHTlkOFU6PuSbDNM0xQkUvn37oMmKG0o44-taqltk78sHyEownfRgIQYP1uvdzpOWD2YyvU9_2MZgpvKVPamxGJul-eey9-pVplWHt6H6BVSnkHfuixKX_PxYmEOtpWfuYS_SYlp4iLDMx93ASKNkut_Nz647_cD5mnncfiNJb78Wqm-FeAxJMEj6NYwLisGAtECFRNSInTetMor1F6D9Y6rP8o103u4I3IlUL8IPuquJkISRc5cNyU2ke9bmyPTwctKtj-tJl1V0xP3JtL4oF0M031xShXSyBqsFgfbdNPtSW3Aa8HFjdBATQqVQdOKhOpkDjr5djrMXb2YorxmCN8d=w700-no

A very common rigging problem is that the lateral pushrods for the ailerons bind in torsion near the ends of up and down elevator movement. There is just enough rotation between the two rod ends on each lateral pushrod to accommodate the angle of rotation of the control stick assy. between full up and full down elevator.

The quick and dirty test for this is to lift/lower the elevator at the tail, noting if it feels like one is fighting a spring near the up and down extents (this "spring" is torsional deflection of the lateral aileron pushrods...). One should not have the stick boot in during this test. The more focused test is to verify that each lateral pushrod can be still rotated a tiny amount when the stick is at each corner.

This problem has existed in almost every plane I've inspected prior to first flight.

Back