What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: RV-14 Tipper

The finishing kit, which will include the canopy, has not been released yet so no plans are available. As you can see from the video, the lifting struts have been moved so that they are not in the way when getting in and out of the aircraft.

I looked through my photos of the prototype but couldn't find a picture of the struts. Maybe someone else will post one.

Food for thought for AntiSplatAero?

Interesting. I've had similar thoughts for my 7 tipper.

Allan? Allan? This would be a great aftermarket mod!

This is one item location that I never did like about the tip-ups. I'd be interested in switching my strut location if it gives me better ingress/egress.

Last edited:
I reread my post and I should be a little clearer.

It's not so much that the struts have been moved - they have been removed. The canopy actually attaches via two flanges, more like door hinges. The actual mechanism is hidden from view. It could be springs or struts that provide the lift, I don't know.

There is also a quick release in the prototype that disconnects the canopy from the airframe if you need to bail out!

I'm not so sure a simple aftermarket mod would replicate it. Sorry again that I don't have a photo.

At the 2:21 point in the video posted above, you can just see the tops of the two hinge brackets attaching the canopy to the airframe.

Last edited:
Back