What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Installation--When?

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
When does the pitot get installed? I have not seen them in the plans. If it is during the wing build then you would have to make the choice now. I have read a thread or two on the subject, but I would like to know what others are doing. If I close up the wings at some point, I assume that you would have to run conduit to allow the installation.

I saw in the following builders log the installation of the pitot during the building of the wings. It is clear in the pictures that the pitot is being installed prior to attaching the skin.

http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/search/label/Wing Skins

Just curious.

Thanks

ken

I installed the mount (Gretz) and plan to run the tubing and wires before riveting the bottom skin.

Ken, have you decided on what avionics you are going with?

I'm leaning toward toward Dynon Skyview with heated pitot and AOA indicator. Single adhars system as well. I think for the right side, I'm going to do a smaller dynon all-in-one unit as a backup with battery so they are truly independent of each other but not sure.

I know there has been some discussion here of second adhars mounting so I'm paying attention to that.

I started a thread a few months back in RV14 regarding avionics choices, maybe time to revisit.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99261

Last edited:
I have not decide on avionics. I thought that I had some time to decide, but maybe not. I was thinking the new Garmin G3X system, but have not done enough research to determine Dynon versus Garmin.

What are the major differences between the two systems? I have read a good portion of the thread on the G3X system (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=97820&highlight=gx3) and it looks pretty cool.

Are the AOA/ heated pitots universal? If I buy Garmin AOA/pitot, then can I still put in Dynon avionics or vice versus.

In the above thread, the following AOA/Pitot mount will work for the Garmin Pitot. Not sure if it will work for the Dynon pitot.

http://www.gretzaero.com/mountbracket.html

I have not decide on avionics. I thought that I had some time to decide, but maybe not. I was thinking the new Garmin G3X system, but have not done enough research to determine Dynon versus Garmin.

I don't plan on buttoning up the lower skin for a while so that I can wait on this decision as well as lighting choices. I think I'll set the wing aside and move on to the emp and fuse when I get to that point.

Last edited:
I've purchased the Gretz Aero pitot mast few days ago. I intend to install Dynon stuff including their heated Pitot/AOA kit. Besides, I think that this mast should fit pretty much anything that looks alike Dynon's, which is the same for Gretz own heated pitot.

However, I think that we may need some advice from our RV-10 fellow builders because we are about to run into a little problem: there aren't any instruction on the hole location for all those Pitot/Static/AOA lines that needs to be routed through wing ribs #1 to #8. Because the ADAHRS unit(s) needs to have all three lines taped into it(them) in order for the Skyview system to say something about your flight attitude. Of course if you decide to install just what is being called in the plans (non-heated Alum pitot tube and no ADAHRS stuffs), there are enough holes into there to route whatever you like.

When you look at page 12-04, you can see a bunch of snap bushings going through ribs but none are clearly identified as to their genuine purpose. Yes you can figure out where to route the "Pitot" and the "AOA" line but what about the "Static" line??? Same for page 12-05 (for the right wing); Why 0.500 snap bushings on the Top Aft holes (which doesn't exist on mine so I need to locate and drill them out first) when all the wires are routed through the Lower-Aft and Lower-Front holes (See Section 17-0). Why should we install snap bushings in the Upper-Aft holes if nothing goes in?

Just this is holding me from making any more holes into those ribs until I do my own wire/hose line routing plan. Too many discrepancies for the moment.

There are several options.

Drill a hole in each rib, place a snap bushing of the appropriate size, then run all the pitot/AOA lines through it.

I have a slightly different setup in my rv10. I have a dedicated line going through the ribs. I seem to recall that there was already a tooling hole or pre drilled hole on the rv10 ribs. I have an AFS AOA, which those small tubes were run inside the 3/4" conduit I installed in each wing.

How much room is needed to run the lines for the Pitot for Garmin or Dynon with AOA? I know that the stock pitot is just a 1/4" line. Looking at some builders logs, it appears that to tubes are required?

It does not appear that I have enough holes in the ribs for the tubing. I guess that I could drill more holes, but that would be a pain.

I have heard that there are bushings that can be riveted to the large holes in the ribs. Any idea where I can get those? If not, then I will have to figure out how to drill more holes in the closely spaced ribs.

Or I could do this:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=706445

Thanks
Ken

Back