What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question: Installing wing tip lens

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
How the heck do you rivet the nut plates in that holds the lens in place? I don't see how I can buck the rivets without making a mess of the fiber glass.

Can I just epoxy them in place? Or use screws?

Is there some obvious answer that I just have not thought of yet?

thanks
Ken

Rivets

Just use a regular rivet , a few taps with the gun and it's done .piece of cake , try it .

The click bond nutplates work really slick but they are expensive. After putting those in I don't want to install any standard nutplates in fiberglass again. They are a very clean solution.

Here are a couple of pics.

I

IMG

Last edited:
I saw no need to take the lenses off very often so I used a screw with a nut and washer on the back side. Just means I have to have the tip off to get the lenses off.

I saw no need to take the lenses off very often so I used a screw with a nut and washer on the back side. Just means I have to have the tip off to get the lenses off.

You will wish you had installed the nutplates after the first time you need to remove the lenses to clean the inside due to dust.

How many other people use more than 2 places to hold the lens in place? I noticed that Ray put in 6 screws to hold the lens in place. I sort of like that idea, but was wondering what others think.

Two screws for me. It is not structural.

If after I go flying and it looks like it wants to come off I will add more screws.

Back