What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flaperons

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Some time back installed wings and set flaperons for position then clamped and drilled tha arms to final position as per plans. (The flaperons were clamped to the trailing edge of wing tips for alignment). Now have installed wings after paint and when one flaperon is aligned with trailing edge the other is about 1/4' below. Do I adjust it by resetting rod end bearing on operating arm under front floor pan? Thanks for the feedback.
Dick Seiders

Dick, you did it perfectly. Just wait and see, if you are doing ELSA you will check for 1/4" droop on 1 side.

Rudi, Okie is right. I found the condition as expected in the PAP. Don't know why tho, but as the gang at Van's usually says don't ask why.
Dick Seiders

When adjusted per the manual (PAP), the air pressure on the bottom of the long flaperon exerts just enough force to align both flaperons with the wing when the RV-12 is at speed. (The PAP does say to adjust for 1/4" droop on one side, implying the other flaperon aligned. with the wingtip. Then, when the stick is centered both flaperons will show the droop. The PAP would be more clear if it said the flaperons should be adjusted for 1/8" droop each with the stick centered.)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
It is rigged straight- droop would be bilateral.

The flaperons are rigged straight- when the torque tubes are drilled, the bellcrank is locked in the neutral position and both flaperons were clamped in alignment with the wing trailing edge- hence, no offset. For the flight control check as part of the PAP, you are instructed to clamp one side and then measure the droop on the other, as this is the easiest way to check it to confirm the amount of droop. However, the check does not involve locking the bellcrank in the neutral position again. So in essence, both sides would be expected to droop an equal amount (and one half of what is measured on the right side with the left side clamped neutral) if the bellcrank was locked in the neutral position.

Jeff

Back