What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chapter 35

okiejohn

Notes on the landing gear:

I was holding off on spar pin microswitches. I'm glad, because you must pull both ends of the plastic loom to get to the nuts that hold the U-1202 up.

I assembled the main wheels, then found Matco wanted me to thread the brass nut and washer on the inner tube. when I put it on, the washer interfered with the hub assembly. You could grind a little off, but there was another problem in that the valvestem was forced into a position where the hubs wouldn't line up, and the inner tube was in a bind. I left them off, untill someone tells me I'm wrong.

The U-1202 attach bracket barely fits, dry fit it before you put everything in. I had to grind a rivet's mandrel down a bit. you probably don't want it in a bind because of toe in.

Be sure to use the AN-4-16A bolts like the new plans show to hold the axles on.

My toe in was perfect (correct) .

I primed the U-1220 axles because I didn't know if they were anodised.

The WD-1201 top flange interferes with the center nutplate. It probably could be trimmed.

Any suggestions on the above?

Fwd Gear Leg

Talked with Vans about the interference with the nutplate on the bottom of the Firewall. The early kits had this problem. Later kits were modified. I removed enough material to get proper clearance.

My WD-1201 does not look like any of the pictures. Besides the 13 AN3-4's the leg is extended to the midpoint of the firewall.

I can't find any illustration of this in the manual, or any spec about the two fasteners to use.

RV-12 is part of Chapter 180's BuildAPlane Program in SRQ.

Back