What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing and tail revisions

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone with the wing and tail completed before the revisions dated 17 Oct., go thru the revision process? I will be doing so on the weekend and just wandering how much work is required. Got an e-mail from Van's today explaining that some steps are structural and need to be completed for the fuselage changes or something like that.

John, I have only scanned the revisions on Van's web site, but received an e-mail from Van's yesterday stating that the revisions on page 10-13 and page 10-32 must be preformed to the emp. I have not studied what these revisions entail.

I am only up to the fuel tanks at this point in the build (started with the Wings, Emp is still in the crate) but the revisions look more like clarifications to me so far.

Would be curious to hear what people are doing for the revisions.

Ron
I just took a look at the plans and revisions for the items you mentioned. It looks like they did not specify riveting the 14131 bulk head and the battery angle and bell crank rib assembly to the 1407 bulkhead.
I imagine that you have probably already done that but check it out. I am sure that it is not a difficult job if not yet done.

Bulkhead

Ron
I just took a look at the plans and revisions for the items you mentioned. It looks like they did not specify riveting the 14131 bulk head and the battery angle and bell crank rib assembly to the 1407 bulkhead.
I imagine that you have probably already done that but check it out. I am sure that it is not a difficult job if not yet done.

I had called Van's a while back and asked them if it was O.K. to rivet them, it looked like they just missed them in the plans and Ken said yes, do it! No big deal.

I went through them all yesterday afternoon and on the empennage every one of them was something I had either done or found out the hard way!

One change I'm glad I didn't make was the callout for the MK-319-BS rivets on the upper rudder rib. I like the way my 426 flush rivets look there.

This is a copy of the e-mail I received from Van's yesterday. I take it from the wording that a couple steps are certainly required, they may have been ommissions.
The release of the RV-14 fuselage includes many small improvements and refinements to the construction of the wing and empennage kits. Most do not greatly impact the construction of the kits as a whole, but a few very important callouts were amended during the course of kit development.
It is critical that the builder perform the following actions to complete the build of the Aft Fuselage:
10-13 REV 1: Rivet the Battery Angle & Bellcrank Rib Assembly to the F-01407 Bulkhead using 6 AN470AD4-4 Rivets.
10-32 REV 1: Rivet the F-14131 Upper Aft Fuselage Rib to the Top Skin Assembly to the F- 01407 Bulkhead as shown in Figure 1.

Be advised that these Plans page updates have been posted to our website on 10-17- 14. Please visit www.vansaircraft.com, click on Support, then Service Information and Revisions.
The most recent revisions to the RV-14 Plans Pages can always be found at http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv14.htm

Van's Aircraft, Inc 14401 Keil Rd. NE Aurora, Oregon 97002 503-678-6545 Fax 503-678-6560 www.vansaircraft.com

Back