What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

V- Belt Width

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
There appears to be a variety of V belt width requirements among the ring gear carriers out there. I noticed this first on my buddy's Rocket. His belt sits flush with the pulley groove OD - It's fully seated, if you will. Mine always sits proud of the surface, so thinking my belt was wrong, I copied his part number and procured my own. Turns out, this new belt also sits proud. Measuring the grove width on my factory (big diameter) 540 shows it to be .400, while his (big diameter) is .500 wide. His is a 541 model as the timing marks are set for reverse rotation. Also have a small diameter pulley off the 320 from my TriPacer and its even wider still.

So with regards to the large diameter "modern" ring gear carriers, why the variation in belt width, and how many are out there?

Just one reference, but the belts specified by Plane Power (Gates 7355 and 7300) for their 60 Amp alternator are 0.41 inches wide at the top for both the large and small Lycoming pulleys.

Back