What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X System Block Diagrams

FlyGood

For my G3X system in an RV-8, I'm planning a good VFR/Basic IFR panel with a a 10.6 inch PFD, G5 Standby ADI, GTN 375 Navigator/Transponder, a panel mount COMM/NAV, and a panel mount COMM. Can you point me in the right direction for a planning block diagram that shows these items plus the required behind-the-panel adapters, controllers, and any other miscellaneous boxes that are needed to make everything work.

I also have a parallel project in a certified airplane using a G500 TXi system with a similar set of displays - 10.6" PFD and G5, with a GTN 650 or 750 TXi WAAS/NAV/COM, a panel mount COMM, ADS-B Transponder, and the ability to integrate with an STEC 60-2 Autopilot. A block diagram of other required boxes would help me know what purchases, beyond the obvious, I need to make.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Kwn Cockrell

Steinair can draw you up a custom diagram but it is expensive! ($400 several years ago).
Stewart Willoughby, 6, paint is next

RV 8 Equipment List

For my G3X system in an RV-8, I'm planning a good VFR/Basic IFR panel with a a 10.6 inch PFD, G5 Standby ADI, GTN 375 Navigator/Transponder, a panel mount COMM/NAV, and a panel mount COMM. Can you point me in the right direction for a planning block diagram that shows these items plus the required behind-the-panel adapters, controllers, and any other miscellaneous boxes that are needed to make everything work.

I also have a parallel project in a certified airplane using a G500 TXi system with a similar set of displays - 10.6" PFD and G5, with a GTN 650 or 750 TXi WAAS/NAV/COM, a panel mount COMM, ADS-B Transponder, and the ability to integrate with an STEC 60-2 Autopilot. A block diagram of other required boxes would help me know what purchases, beyond the obvious, I need to make.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Kwn Cockrell

Hello Ken,

Here is a list of equipment you would need for the RV8:

• GDU 460
  • Standard LRU Kit - (GSU 25 AHRS, GMU 11 Magnetometer, GTP 59 Temperature Probe, Configuration Module)
  • G5
  • GNX 375 GPS/XPDR
  • GNC 255 NAV/COM
  • GTR 200 COM
  • GMA 245(R) Audio Panel - Can be remote or panel mounted
  • GAD 29 - Required to interface Navigator to GDU
  • GEA 24 - Required for Engine Instrumentation Interface
  • 4 Cylinder Engine Sensor Kit - Not required, you can piece together your own sensor kit if you would like, compatible sensors listed in Chapter 24 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual
  • GSA 28 - Autopilot servo, one needed for each axis
  • GMC 507 - Autopilot Controller
  • GSA 28 Servo Installation Kit - RV8 - One each for the pitch and roll axis

The GAD 27 is an optional ECS you can add to your system. It has several different supporting features, including a very flexible lighting bus controller, which will allow you to control all of the display backlights from just 1 or 2 knobs, with each display having its own custom calibration curve. This is very useful for any night flying you may plan on doing.

You can plan for around $25 - $80 for connectors and racks for each LRU. Your Garmin dealer will be able to provide you with the appropriate part numbers for the associated installation materials required for each unit.

For the TXi equipment, you will want to reach out to a local Garmin Dealer/Installer for more information. If you do not have a dealer you already work with, we can help locate one for you in your area.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you. I was planning to get Stein to build the required harnesses but, for now, I'm trying to get a little smarter about the hidden items I will need so I don't sound too uninformed when I contact them.

Thanks again,
Taco

Back