What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GripLockTies? (Zip Ties)

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I came across these from another forum and have not seen them mentioned here before, unless I missed it. I am just wondering if anyone here is using them, as these seem to address some of the concerns I have about using zip ties on my build. Amazon has them and they run under .50 cents each if you buy a bag of 100. Being that you can easily open them up and re-use them, you won't be snipping them off and throwing them in the garbage like a cheap regular zip tie and one bag should be enough for just about any build. I have no affiliation with the manufacturer.

https://www.griplockties.com/

Seems like overkill to me, I haven't had a ziptie fail to-date. Anyplace truly critical (such as where it could interfere with controls, I use cushion clamps instead)

I think you will end up tossing almost as many. Once you trim them flush, it will be very difficult to reuse them.

Excellent product. Not a 1 to 1 replacement for either adels or standard zip ties, but can be a substitute where adel is too heavy/ large/ inaccessible, or zip would be no-no.
Amazing how many times I find zips to fuel lines, hydro lines, or engine mounts.... AAAAAK!
nylon zip tie + vibration = CUTTING TOOL. Please stop doing this.

David, they are an excellent product. i'm not sure they were meant to be used for all applications that zip ties are used for but I'm sure you can use them that way, it will just be expensive. The previous poster is correct, once you snip the end, it is a bit harder to open it back but it is doable. I try to stay away from traditional zip ties but still have to use them for some applications. I've been using nylon waxed lacing for bundling wire and starting using these to replace zip ties for the most part. I also use these in my Super Cub to hang things that I want out of the way but don't want to hang it permanently. There are lots of uses for them. As with everything else, you get what you pay for and these are definitely great quality.

One more thing, I saw in a youtube video where they are offering Free Shipping if you put "Experimental" in the coupon code section.

Hope this helps!

I use one loosely cinched to hold the power cord for my engine block heater. :cool:

Pretty much all my wiring is tied with waxed lacing but there are somethings that you need a zip tie. I have seen the damage from regular zip ties and want to avoid using those. These seem to be a good solution.

I believe the company is owned by Mike Patey, of Draco fame.

I dont know for sure about actual ownership of the company, but the product was created and is marked by Creighton King, owner of the rights to the Cassutt line of sport planes. A good guy, he works tirelessly to promote these things! I have a couple fo bags, and use them when I want to have something bundled but removable, or tie things to a structural member and don't want scratches. Think outside the box - I use them to temporarily tie things out of the way of machinery in the shop.

On my RV-8, I have always tied the piano hinge wires that hold the side of the lower cowl to the engine mount tubes for security using zip ties. I cut them off every time I need to remove the cowl. Now I just use the Grip-Locks, and don?t have to throw them away.

I still use regular zip ties in places, and do all my wire bundling with lacing cord....but the Grip-Locks have quite a few uses, and are a nice addition to the toolbox.

Paul

I camped next to the inventer/company owner (in the video) last summer at Oshkosh. He gave me a couple to try. I ended up buying two different sizes. I mostly use them in the engine area, especially when securing things to engine mount tubes. They handle high temps, and the silicone material stays put and doesn?t damage the powder coat on the tubes. Very useful when are initially fitting things and may need to move, add, or change something.

I used them on my build and they?ve worked great. Used a few in the engine bay and after a year/ 140 hours, no issues.

NASA CABLE AND HARNESS GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

With all due respect Paul D worked with some pretty good craft persons in his other job. Here are a couple of resources related to securing things. GripLocks are a good product and there area lot of ways to keeps things like harnesses i their place.

NASA CABLE AND HARNESS - GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
https://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2 books/links/sections/401 General Requirements

A pretty handy workmanship reference.

-larosta

I used several on my FWF where Adel clamps would be overkill, like a couple of TC wires. They work well and can be removed and reused.

Back