What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview Reliability

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I´m having four SV-D700 Skyview displays in two airplanes. All display were sent back at least once for repair.
Just recently one display didn´t boot below about 40 F and was sent back the second time for out of warranty repair after about 4 years and 550 hours in use. Now this display mirrors itself after a few minutes flight time and is not usable, see pic.

xauIAJL.jpg

I kind of lost confidence in the Skyview system and it is annoying to send screens back and forth from Germany and each time copying old receipts and trying to convince customs of.....you know. Dynon however is responsive and helpful. Already contacted them and I´m awaiting their answer very soon but fear I have to send back the screen for the third time now!

How is your experience with the Skyview system when it comes to reliability?
For me the failure rate seems too high.

No Problems

I have a very low serial number D1000 I bought back in the 2009 time frame. 11 years and 550 hours later and no problems at all. The only system component I swapped out was the Engine Monitoring module (EMS-220). It had the known issue where the EGTs/CHTs would go nuts when you keyed the mike on either of the COMMs.

I have two 10" Skyviews in my RV7. Work great. All the auxiliary gear works well also. Excellent customer support. Looking forward to installing a Dynon GPS Navigator one day. I can hope, right?

I have two10 inch Skyviews Classics with Dynon transponder, comm, auto pilot etc. Serial numbers around the early 2000's

I have had to return for service both screens, one ap servo 3 times, and the comm (for a hard to track down noise).

I also have a friend who is a fellow RVer who has sent his screen back multiple times.

So I have seen a number of failures.

I have also experienced really good service from Dynon, so I do really like the company. I have also enjoyed many hours of stability having got through the initial period.

It says something positive that if there was an economical upgrade path to their latest products I would probably take it over looking at a competitor. Not only because of the ongoing product improvement but also because of their commitment to service.

7yrs and 550hrs later my dual 7" Skyviews (Sn 1516 & 2467) have been working great. Sent one display (#1516) and the engine monitor module back a few years ago for hardware upgrades but other than that they have been flawless.

Mine is a complete system with every option except the autopilot and comms.

23f2.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
My SkyView's SN is in the one hundred and something and has never been back for repair. In fact it has been so reliable that I have removed the last of my steam gauges.

Don't think the others are better, because they are not. In talking with a friend who has a very popular dual setup from a big competitor, he has has all kinds of issues.

I just started seeing the cold weather issues on one of my screens. Just boots up with lines and squiggles. After a while it will reboot correctly. I?m rarely below 40 here so I?ll let it ride for now. I also see my cht and egt readings go nuts when I key the mic. It goes back to normal when I get off the mic though so I?ll leave that one as well. Mine are certainly out of warranty and have about 550 hours on them.

Just for my info...,.,what is it costing to have these repairs made?

Dynon issues

Hermann, Hate to hear you are having issues. The RV7a a I bought flying has a D-120 EMS in it. I had issues with it at about 200hrs use & 8 years old. It was out of warranty.
The fix was $250 + shipping. They turned it around fairly quickly...

Hope you get a solid fix soon....

JK

Skyview

Hermann -

I purchased my Skyview system in late 2014. In the first two years of operation, I sent back the D1000, D700, ADHRS, and EMS-220 modules for repair. Since then, the repaired/replaced modules have worked flawlessly with cabin temperatures from -1C to +48C.

I see nothing is perfect and I?m not alone with issues.
My experience with customer support from Dynon is very good and I?m sure they will sort this one out.
It is however frustrating to find faults and send things back and be grounded again - ok I could fly with one screen no problem. The other screen is already showing the mentioned lines and squiggles during the boot process now and then and only resetting the C/B does actually reset the screen for a successful boot.
I think I need a spare screen!

skyview

10" classic s# 1380 900 hours all over the place with most of their accessories. 100% happy Good stuff, and just updating to hdx and didnt even consider another brand.

Back