What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Prop

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
New Prop sitting on the dock at Hartzell and waiting for Brown Santa (UPS) to pick up. :D

Changing out from original Hartzell Constant Speed with old school blades in favor of the new composite prop.

I would appreciate any advice you may have as I embark on phase one of my airplane improvement project.

I am under the impression that I am required to place the airplane back in to Phase 1 as my particular engine prop combination is not in the application guide.

O-360-A1A, 1 Mag and 1 ElectroAir electronic ignition and The ?Claw?

Is this correct? Is there an easily accessible document out there that I can use to walk me through this process? Flight test hours required, endorsement, etc.

I will have professional assistance on the install and have it balanced.

Thank you for your input.

New Prop sitting on the dock at Hartzell and waiting for Brown Santa (UPS) to pick up. :D

Changing out from original Hartzell Constant Speed with old school blades in favor of the new composite prop.

I would appreciate any advice you may have as I embark on phase one of my airplane improvement project.

I am under the impression that I am required to place the airplane back in to Phase 1 as my particular engine prop combination is not in the application guide.

O-360-A1A, 1 Mag and 1 ElectroAir electronic ignition and The “Claw”

Is this correct? Is there an easily accessible document out there that I can use to walk me through this process? Flight test hours required, endorsement, etc.

I have the same prop/spinner sitting in my foyer. My wife loves it. It's a great conversation piece! :) I'm just waiting for my new engine(Superior IO-360-B1AC2) to be completed before installing both. I'm planning to do a new W&B with the new engine/prop and work with the local FSDO/DAR to determin the appropriate testing. I understand there may be some variablily between FSDO/DAR's and will depend on how different you new configuration is. It's also my understanding that it's the change in W&B that may drive the necessity for putting the plane back in Phase 1. I'm sure Mel or others may be able to provide more clarity.

I'll be interested to know what you learn and how you make out.

O-360-A1A, 1 Mag and 1 ElectroAir electronic ignition and The ?Claw?

The regulating document is the operating limitations that are part of your airworthiness certificate (and hopefully with it in the airplane).

They will describe what is required for flight testing when a major change has been made. They are not all the same... the specifics varies depend on when they were issued.

You may not have to go back to Phase 1. Many (but not all) ASI's in the FAA consider changing from one constant speed to a different one to not be a major change.

Thank You.

I?m out paying for the prop I got my wife for our 26th anniversary today:p.

So, I can?t get to the operating limitations that are indeed on board the airplane with the airworthiness certificate. They were changed when the previous owner changed the N-number. I have retained all documentation.

I also have the originals as well. It would be great if Mel would chime in as he was the original DAR that signed off this airplane.

I will keep you updated. There are two major projects in the works over the next 90 days. Both of which will require (desire) a new weight and balance. So that will be a given.

Changing from one C/S prop to another C/S is not in itself a major change......Unless there is a substantial change to W&B.
If the operating limitations were changed, I have no idea what the new ones state. But like Scott says, that is you controlling document.

Regardless of "REQUIRED" and should do... obviously do a short flight test program. Does it affect airworthiness, performance and critical systems? W&B yes a redo.

At minimum do common sense post MX flight test. Stay near airport, land, check for leaks. Then do performance test. Get your power off glide ratio. That monster might cause some serious drag (queue discussion of prop control position fine/course with engine out). Also stalls, top and cruise speed/range.

Congrats on the Prop, I am waiting to win the Lotto.... :D

PS PLEASE try and give us some before and after numbers.

PS PLEASE try and give us some before and after numbers.

I'll post before/after, but Jason's review will be a better indicator of prop performance. I'm probably adding another 20-30hp along with the prop. I hoping to get a little something for the extra $$$! :).

When I swapped out my O-290d2 for the O-360, the FSDO said I didn't have to do anything; however, I did put it back into Phase 1 for five hours.

The FSDO agreed with that decision and asked used my plane to train some of their new guys. They came, inspected the plane, and handed me some new operating limitations, as if it was the first inspection. My original Airworthiness remained in effect.

I was more than happy to allow them to use my -9 as a training aid as there was no "risk" to me by having the Feds look over my plane. That and I thought having them "on my side" might come in handy at sometime in the future.

It was a pleasant experience all the way around.

CAUTION!!!

Be sure you use air pressure and advance the pitch on the prop as installed and measure your clearance to the right cowling inlet!!

That beautiful, huge cord swings waaaaay back at coarse pitch, and will not go below 2400 rpm and 160+ knots as a result.

Don't be guessing - do this.

Yes I have the prop and measured mine, it was touching.

Be sure you use air pressure and advance the pitch on the prop as installed and measure your clearance to the right cowling inlet!!

That beautiful, huge cord swings waaaaay back at coarse pitch, and will not go below 2400 rpm and 160+ knots as a result.

Don't be guessing - do this.

Yes I have the prop and measured mine, it was touching.

So, do I understand you correctly? Did you alter the cowl, or just set a placard speed to never go below 160 Kt IAS with the prop below 2400?

I'll be sure to report back my findings. It is looking like the smartest play will be to wait until the airplane is back from the radio shop. Complete panel overhaul with all new Garmin. I will then have way more accuracy on my engine and airplane performance than I do currently. This way I will be able to have accurate data points on the old prop v. new. I guess I will just have to sit in the hangar and look at it for the next couple of months.

Back