What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Night Garmin G3X Setup?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
G3Xpert,

Can you assist on a VFR night budget setup?

Thanks,
D

G3Xpert,

Can you assist on a VFR night budget setup?

Thanks,
D

Good Afternoon,

One of the great functions of the GAD 27 is the ability to use up to 3 dimmer knobs to control up to 6 lighting circuits. You can create a custom calibration curve for each unit to be controlled, including in cockpit ambient lighting, so that just one or 2 knobs, controls the brightness of the various displays and in cockpit lights per their individual calibrations. This makes it very easy to quickly dim or brighten the entire cockpit.

A single G3X Touch display would be a good option. Together with the Standard LRU kit, the G3X Touch will display your flight instrumentation, as well as provide supplementary information on the MFD portion of the display, such as weather and traffic information. You could choose to use either a single 7 inch or 10 inch display, either of these would work very well in this type of installation.

The G3X Touch can be installed alongside remote mounted COM radios, audio panels, transponders, and ADS-B In devices. This frees up a lot of panel real estate, and is a great option for a VFR panel.

You can also choose to go with a G5 and Aera 660 combination. The G5 would provide you with your flight instrumentation and the Aera 660 can be used an MFD, as well as to drive navigation information to the autopilot if you choose to install one. The Aera 660 would provide you with a lot of the same information that the G3X Touch MFD would and is a great VFR solution.

Both options can be installed alongside GSA 28 autopilot servos to incorporate an integrated autopilot into the system.

The GTR 200 is a good choice for a COM radio in an installation of this type. It has a built in 2 place intercom, so if you have just 1 COM radio, you would have no need for an additional audio panel or intercom system. There is extensive integration between the G3X Touch display and the GTR 200, for intercom purposes and frequency programming from the MFD.

The GTX 35R is a remote mounted ADS-B transponder that is built specifically for the experimental market, and is controlled through the G3X Touch display. There is also a panel mounted version, the GTX 335R, that is available for purchase by both certified and experimental customers.

The GDL 50R is a remote mounted ADS-B In device, that will provide your G3X Touch or Aera 660 with ADS-B weather and traffic information, as well as a Bluetooth connection to an iPad or other portable device for the same information.

There are a lot of different options and possible configurations available. If you have a rough idea of what you think you may want in your panel, please feel free to email us at [email protected] with any additional questions on configurations or pricing.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
The touch 10.5 is a nice size screen. Even in split mode you still have a good visual of the PFD and map/charts/etc. The touch has a photo cell or you can manually adjust the brightness from the touch unit. It’s a great day/night unit. If you go a single screen, I would at least consider the G5 as a redundant unit. It also provides a back up air data for the touch unit.

Yeah, I am thinking a 10in screen, a g5 backup and a gtr200, engine management.

I don't need autopilot and I have a gtx 327 so I could go with the 82 solution.

Back