What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAP26 install

Kitfoxbill

Going to install a Garmin GAP26 pitot / AOA "heated". How is everyone connecting the 3/16 tubes to the 1/4 pitot/AOA plastic lines? I'm mounting the unit in a Avery mast. Any one done this?

Thanks

William
RV8A flying For sale
RV7 finishing

Several parts will make it work nicely

I believe I used AN816-3D, AN818-3D, and AN819-3D (3/16" nipple, nut coupling, and sleeve) from SteinAir, and part # 5779K634 from McMaster-Carr which is a swivel 90 degree elbow adapter tube to female threaded pipe. This allows the 3/16" tubing on the pitot to transition to the 1/4" OD plastic tubing. Used it on both the pitot line and the AOA line. Hope this helps!

Union reducer

Has any one used a push on union on aluminum tubing? I found a push on union reducer 1/4 to 3/16.

Thanks
William
RV8A Flying for sale
RV7 Finishing

Here's one from McMaster. Same as you found?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#51055k92/=rh12s9

This would be a great solution, but I too wonder how it works with Aluminum. The specs say it works with: nylon, polyethylene, brass, and copper.

One concern is temperature. Says it works up to 150 degrees, but a heated pitot might warm the tube past that.

Pitot AOA connections

Here pic of finished connections for pitot and AOA.

William Bennett
RV8A flying for sale
RV7 finishing

Last edited:
2B3D5B24-AED6-48D3-8B36-7C12656CA624.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Is that going to be mounted on your wing? The tubes are quite long for the wing thickness. Maybe you haven't yet cut them to final length. :)

I ended up going away from push-on fittings for the aluminum tubes. They score the tubes when installed and removed. So I flared mine and used the SafeAir setup.

The longest one is 3/4 inch off the top of wing skin. Total length is set at more than one inch longer than min for heat. An fittings to safe air push on for 1/4 plastic tubing. Fits fine.

William

The longest one is 3/4 inch off the top of wing skin. Total length is set at more than one inch longer than min for heat. An fittings to safe air push on for 1/4 plastic tubing. Fits fine.

William
Ah, cool. Couldn't tell by the photo that those were AN fittings connected to the aluminum tubes. :)

I ended up bending my aluminum tubes a bit for my fitment:

DSC01041.JPG

GAP 26 Installation

Does anyone have good advice for the sequence of preparing and installing the GAP 26 in an existing RV-8 wing using the kit from SteinAir? Garmin wants you to keep the length of the aluminum tubing, so it looks like you have to flare the tubing before putting it up in the wing, but it also looks like you have to do a good amount of bending once the tubing is up in the wing. Any advice out there for a good sequence?

Does anyone have good advice for the sequence of preparing and installing the GAP 26 in an existing RV-8 wing using the kit from SteinAir? Garmin wants you to keep the length of the aluminum tubing, so it looks like you have to flare the tubing before putting it up in the wing, but it also looks like you have to do a good amount of bending once the tubing is up in the wing. Any advice out there for a good sequence?

I’m also wondering if anyone has experience with this, as I’m looking to install a Garmin heated pitot in my already flying RV-8.

Back