What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to Fix a Mistake in my Instrument Panel

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
One of the 2.25 holes I cut for my comm radio (MGL) turns out to be a hair higher than it should be. This is causing the back side of the radio head to just barely contact one of the supporting ribs behind the instrument panel.

My thought is to make a 1/4 inch thick shim or standoff which I will place between the panel and radio, using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BX3PM2G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1FWWCVO9POVQF&psc=1

Is this a good plan? Any other method I should be thinking about?

I wouldn’t mess with the rib. Just make a cover plate for the existing hole and drill a new instrument hole in that. You can center it on the new cover plate so it will look relatively normal. Depending on weight of the instrument an .040 or .050 cover plate should be sufficient. Paint it panel color or black and you’ll hardly see it after a while.
This has become my standard go to method for panel upgrades. Eventually I’ll build a new panel but this works in the meantime.
Good luck.

How about an angled shim, to cant the front face up, back down? Might actually be functional, make the radio easier to see.

Yes, I guess that could work. I wasn't sure if I should be cutting into the rib.

The two ribs supporting the panel do not carry flight loads, just stiffen the panel. Minor trimming of the ribs and sub-panel are often needed to get everything to fit.

Last edited:
Back