What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator hinge dimension?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

The plan dimension for the elevator heim joints is 13/16" with 7/8" max.

The gap between the counterbalance horns & the ends of the elevator skin line up better if I go with 13/16" on the outer hinge and 7/8" on the inner one. This is constant for both elevators.

Is there any reason that it would be better to have both dimensions the same? or am I good to go with one of each?

Connect the 2 elevators together at the belcranks and let us know how the two different non-parallel axis work for you. The gap you are concerned with is way down the list of importance vs free and non binding motion of the elevators.

Connect the 2 elevators together at the belcranks and let us know how the two different non-parallel axis work for you. The gap you are concerned with is way down the list of importance vs free and non binding motion of the elevators.

+1 non binding is a must. if balanced it should move if you breathe on it.

Thanks guys.

I get that balanced and non binding is the long pole in the tent here, but I seriously doubt that given manufacturing and assembly variances, those control horns are going to be 100% in plane no matter what you do.

With both dimensions set as close to 13/16" as I can make them by eyeballing a scale to the center of a bearing hole, the gap between the horns varies through the range of travel by about .006 as measured on my non-certified micrometer.

With the inner hinge set at 7/8" and the outer at 13/16" the gap variance is about .012" Still not much, but you're probably right in that less is better, vs being to picky about a small gap variance.

I guess that I'll set the distance the same, since it only changes the gap at the counterbalance horns by about 1/32". Probably overthinking it.

Last edited:
Back