What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixture cable angle

Blain

Well Known Member
Had to procure an offset mixture arm to clear the FAB. Using Vans cable anchor bracket. Cable to arm is orientation is about 15 degrees. Looks excessive. Are there published limitations on certified ships?

Two thoughts:

1. Since the cables that Vans sells aren't for aviation, there likely is not a published limit on angle...these are made for boats, as I understand it. If the cable operates smoothly without binding and the rod end bearing had adequate clearance and operates smoothly, I'd think you would be ok

2. Have you thought about modding the cable bracket to lessen the angle?

Angle not the problem

Cause and effect.
Install an offset arm without checking cowl clearance causes me to be effectively embarrassed. Needles to say cable angle is no longer an issue. Went back to straight arm and fabricated a new top plate with intake offset.
I should have searched the VAF knowledge base before going any farther. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Don't feel bad...this is one of those areas where if you go "off the reservation", it can result in a lot of time re-engineering an acceptable solution. I spent 2+ months messing around with different ideas before settling on the final solution. And that was before I tackled the cowl scoop, induction solution, etc.

Back