What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low fuel psi???

tireguy

I need the collective help of the group on this one. My RV-8 kit #80176 with an
0-360 A1A is suffering from a low fuel Psi on start up and won't maintain psi unless I run the electric fuel pump. After takeoff and leveling off in cruise, I can turn off the electric pump and it will maintain proper psi for the flight on the mechanical pump.
Clearly I'm sucking in air.. This is verified by the fact if I purge the fuel line to my firewall mounted sender the problem is temporally fixed.
I finished building and have been flying this plane since 2003.. And like the farmer said after his horse died.. " geez!!He never did that before"!
After my last annual I drained the van's gasolator and carb bowl.
Things I did...

Rechecked the gasolator and re lubed O-ring with "fuel lube"

Checked the fuel selector valve for any external leaks" it's the brass one supplied with the kit. Already replaced once.

Borrowed a mechanical fuel psi tester from my FBO. Pump is producing 3.5 at idle and 5 psi over 1k rpm.

I have a fuel flow transducer on the pressure side before the carb.

I'm about to remove the fuel psi sender off the firewall and screw it directly into the fuel pump. Thereby eliminating the hose to the firewall that fills with air.

Any ideas ???

AB.. Aka tire guy.

Back