What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

74" Hartzell on an RV-8

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of ordering an engine and prop for my 8 and I know this question has probably been asked in the past but I'm after last minute Pro's - con's, performance (if any) reasons for or against buying a 74" prop for my RV-8.

Many Thanks
Gibbo :D

74" Hartzell

Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of ordering an engine and prop for my 8 and I know this question has probably been asked in the past but I'm after last minute Pro's - con's, performance (if any) reasons for or against buying a 74" prop for my RV-8.

Many Thanks
Gibbo :D

I'm running the 74" BA prop on my RV-8 with IO-360-A1B6 (F7497 blades). I have been very happy with this combination. My original reasoning for going with the 74" prop is that the blades can be trimmed to 72" diameter if required for repair, whereas Hartzell does not permit trimming of the 72" prop blades.

I have been extremely happy with the performance. Climb performance is phenomenal, cruise performance is good, and I'm happy with the race speeds this combination gave me at the Reno Air Races last year.

Skylor

I'm running the 74" BA prop on my RV-8 with IO-360-A1B6 (F7497 blades). I have been very happy with this combination. My original reasoning for going with the 74" prop is that the blades can be trimmed to 72" diameter if required for repair, whereas Hartzell does not permit trimming of the 72" prop blades.

I have been extremely happy with the performance. Climb performance is phenomenal, cruise performance is good, and I'm happy with the race speeds this combination gave me at the Reno Air Races last year.

Skylor
1800+ hours on the 74" BA on the Valkyrie - same experience. (Except for the Reno racing of course....)

Same as above, 74" with Grove gear. No issues other than hearing complaints from my fellow pilots about flying too fast :)

Back