What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Map Box for Remote Items

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I kept looking at that map box hole in the subpanel and finally decided to dig in. I put angles in either side. Plan is to have folded 0.04 sheet on either side mounted to the angle. This will screw to the chassis for the gtx45r on the sides. The fold on either side will make a mount point for the gtr20 to sit on top. I’m using a scrap of j-channel to brace one side higher. I’ll post pics as I go but here are a few as it gets built up.

Last edited:
Now the holes are drilled for 32-10 hex cap screws and k1000-3 nutplates installed with small head ad3 rivets. I’m installing in a way that I never have to get behind this panel to remove any device.

Last edited:
I got the sides built and bent using 0.04 sheet for good rigidity. Lined it all up and drilled for the gtr20 first. Then fit the side angles and riveted those with an426-ad4 flush on the inside to not interfere with the gtr45 tray. Then fit and drilled the tray.

Struggled a bit with how I was going to screw the back end of the tray and got the bright idea to dimple the sheet in toward the tray and use a 426 rivet from the inside set nearly double flush. Worked well. I can’t take this assembly apart without drilling out a pair of rivets but it is soundly secured and I can slide it all in and out the front. If I ever use a different transponder I’d probably have to have a different arrangement anyway. Forgive the long screws it’s what I had.

Now to find some shorter fasteners for the gtr20 attach and I’m good!!!!

Still have to fit the front strap brace. Pics when that is done.

Last edited:
That looks like a good solution. I looked at doing similar but in the end didn't like my engineering so I removed that doubler around the pocket and riveted a solid piece of aluminum back over it using the same rivet holes but dimpled flush. Mounted the GMA245 on front and GAD29 on the back side. I really don't like having anything on the back side but my setup has too many remote boxes to be able to just use the front of that sub panel.

I wanted to easily slide the transponder in and out of its tray and it works pretty well like this. I?m going to get a three piece front panel so if I want to pull this assembly the right side can lift off easy. The brace is fastened with an lp3-4 so it is tight but still allows brace rotation to remove the bracket screws on the left side. This solution permits installing everything I want without a shelf or anything across the bottom. The 45r and gtr20 are not trivial to mount in the spAce provided.

Back