What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote oil thermostat Revisted

b1driver

Well Known Member
Did a search but only found a thread or two with somewhat relevant information of what I believe involves this kit ... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/rmtoilthermsys.php ... Since moving up to MSP I have been fighting cool oil temps during the winter and dont want to deal with having to pull the cowl off every time to tape the cooler off. I was in the process of purchasing Vans shutter gate when I ran into this option. Anyone have info/data on this as a valid alternative? Would appreciate any comments.. thanks.

Luis----I dont know about this one, but the unit we use for the Rotax has been solid. There are several RV12 owners on here with the unit that can give you good data on it.
Tom

This is the unit many of us installed on the early RV-12's Solid unit that works flawlessly. Fails safe to allow oil to engine all the time. A real asset to cold weather flying. I still needed to block off 3/4 of the oil cooler on the RV-12 under 20F, and fly comfortably at -8F.

I think John Bender or Marty Santic gets the credit for finding this unit, but I had added a similar design to my 912s ultra lights 5 years earlier. :p;)

Seriously, a thermostat on the oil is a good idea. We went with the 209F temp. Worked great. IMHO.

http://www.mcp.com.au/thermostat/

It never ends ( HA )- -

but Larry is correct about one thing - the Thermostasiss works very good. I installed a 205 degree model. Oil in the tank has to be over 195 degrees before the therm starts to close. Oil in the tank is good. Where you read the oil temp is important. With the 912, the oil is measured at the engine, so the temp may be different from the tank.

Thanks a a ton guys for your inputs... so as far as an 0320, no problems with installing on of these bad boys? I feel that I am overlooking something critical and that I might do more harm than good but I cant figure out a negative about this thing.

Back