What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few pics from my OSH trip.

DougJ

Well Known Member
Finally found the cable for the camera in all my stuff after OSH, so here's a first timers brief report.

OVERWHELMING. Yep, that's the OSH report. I flew out from Central CA in the RV-6, stayed in Homebuilt camping, and spent Monday through Friday simply overwhelmed with all that there is to see and do. A short week was not enough to see it, I already want to go back!

I had planned to camp my first night in Lake Mills, Iowa, about 1:15 West of OSH. Unfortunately there were some unfavorable winds in the area of Lake Mills that afternoon, so I stayed in Yankton, SD instead. GREAT place to stop as turned out, and only a couple hours further west.

Rough flight route.
FCHOSHFCH_zpsc049d2e0.jpg

Outbound over the Sierra near Mammoth.
DSCN1699_zpsf939bee8.jpg

Parked at YKN for the night, pretty airport.
DSCN1706_zps1b61762f.jpg

I got a fairly early start day two, and the direct route was right over Lake Mills. I might as well drop in for a look around this beautiful grass strip. Bummed I didn't get to stay here, but it was a good call.
DSCN1720_zpsc21506ec.jpg

It was pretty quiet at Ripon Monday morning at 0930.
DSCN1727_zpsf9fdde85.jpg

I'm at Oshkosh! Mine is the RV in Homebuilt camping... ;)
DSCN1729_zps86a1cfa6.jpg

I stumbled around OSH Monday through Friday with my camera in pocket. IN. MY. POCKET. I was so busy licking airplane windows, pressing buttons on every EFIS known to man, hitting various seminars, that I didn't take many pictures. Here's a few:

GO ARMY!
DSCN1733_zps9071db53.jpg

The QED was impressive!
DSCN1735_zps02e8b0c5.jpg

Lets get that drawing done so I can go get my airplane!
DSCN1752_zps687c001d.jpg

This Meyers OTW was restored by a fellow out of Fresno Chandler. I believe he regrets selling it.
DSCN1758_zps97ecc0bc.jpg

Love me some P-38. Mom was a "Rosie the riveter" putting together P-38 tail feathers.
DSCN1739_zps0639b0f9.jpg

I'm not sure what was going on here, but it looked highly suspicious.
DSCN1731_zps4ebe3a31.jpg

I ended up leaving Friday afternoon, looked like to best time to for weather and other issues. I left late so I went back to YKN and stayed there again, the next morning it was off to Caldwell, ID to see my sisters.

Followed this guy for a while westbound out of YKN, never did catch him.
OverNE_zpsc4c96e2b.jpg

The things you get to see cruising around the country VFR, this is a bit NE of Cheyenne, WY.
DSCN1794_zpsc4888c09.jpg

I'm all about cheap gas, so I stopped in Gooding, ID, about 40 min east of Caldwell. Some guy named Mike got there before me to sigh the guest book. :) so I guess I'm not the only frugal RV Pilot.

I had good weather overall for the trip, but after staying a couple of days in Idaho I had to deal with a just bit of weather to get back over the Sierra. Vis and ceiling were pretty good actually, but holding the RPM back on my wood prop slowed me down a bit.
DSCN1805_zps41f7e208.jpg

So, if you haven't been to Oshkosh, plan to do it next year. Great people everywhere, so much to see and to do, well organized, (not perfect, but impressive) and Overwhelming.

Doug

Doug, we arrived about same time at OSH. Your rv camp sight picture has me putting on canopy cover shortly after arriving (yellow shirt about half way down on right).

I'm all about cheap gas, so I stopped in Gooding, ID, about 40 min east of Caldwell. Some guy named Mike got there before me to sigh the guest book. :) so I guess I'm not the only frugal RV Pilot.

Doug

Cheap gas is good:D

Nice little airport there.

You're living my dream! Thanks for the report ... looking forward to taking the -7 to OSH sometime soon (once I get her whole and flying).

Vlad, great pic of West Point!

Mike, I recognized you at the RV gathering / beer tasting event, but didn't have the chance to speak to you. My leg into Gooding, ID was about 565 NM from the last cheap gas, could have made Caldwell but couldn't miss the good price... I was on my way out the door but I then I saw the sign-in book, yours was the last entry.

WJB, I think a trip to OSH while you are building could be very beneficial, although it might get expensive as well.

This trip was a little special to me. I've wanted for many years to build an RV, and someday I will, but I bought this one last year. I have really enjoyed owning, flying and improving this little airplane. Hugely different from my Army flying.

It looked like going on leave wasn't going to be a problem, so I decided that I was going to treat myself to a trip in the airplane for my birthday. I started thinking about a trip up into the North West for some grass strip action and camping, then realized that OSH was during that time frame I was planning. There wasn't really a decision to make about what to do, it was serendipity. I turned 50 while at OSH. I enjoyed myself immensely hope to do it again next year.

First timers misjudgement I think, arriving on Monday. There was very little room left in HBC by then for one, and I felt that I had to hit the ground running in order to see the things I was interested in. Next time I'll get there a couple of days earlier and dedicate that time to looking at airplanes before all the other distractions begin.

Hey Doug..
Running a Bernie Warnke 'almost constant speed prop' there?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice pictures!

"Followed this guy out of YKN, never did catch him."

You are good attacker to approach out of the sun. Adversary probably thought he would blend in since he flys low. Catch him another day.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A. N942PT

Hey, my OTW

I'm sure happy he sold it. I have had a lot of RV's but just love my OTW. Joey did a great job on the restoration of this bird. I love it but I'm sure there is another RV in my future also! It did manage to win " outstanding open cockpit biplane" this year at Oshkosh also.

This Meyers OTW was restored by a fellow out of Fresno Chandler. I believe he regrets selling it.
DSCN1758_zps97ecc0bc.jpg

Hey Doug..
Running a Bernie Warnke 'almost constant speed prop' there?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice pictures!

Dang, you are good! Impressive that you could ID it with such a small part in the pic. Lets see how good you really are, can you tell us the diameter and pitch???

Scott, you need to go next year, airplane done or not. What an inspiration that place is! Plus you get to touch all the cool toys and meet the people you're sending your money to!

I'm sure happy he sold it. I have had a lot of RV's but just love my OTW. Joey did a great job on the restoration of this bird. I love it but I'm sure there is another RV in my future also! It did manage to win " outstanding open cockpit biplane" this year at Oshkosh also.

I had no idea it was with an RV guy! Congratulations on the award, it's a beautiful airplane!

Back