What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attach Tube to Static Port - How?

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I put my static ports in the wrong place when I built my airplane. Now I am installing new ones in the correct location per DWG 28.

The inside diameter of my vinyl tubing is, according to the package, .170". The tubing fits over the Van's static port rivet, squished end, but loosely. The rivet was 0.124" before installation but I don't know how big the inside end is now.

On my original ports, I used a smaller diameter tube and then inserted that tube into the larger tube, which fit tightly. It has worked OK for 200+ hours over several years.

The location in the tail cone is very hard for me to work with, now that the airplane is complete. So, I'm having trouble getting the narrower tube to fit over the new rivet and would prefer to use the larger tube.

Can I just use a small plastic "zip-tie" and RTV it into place to prevent it from falling off? Or is there a better way? What did you do?

Thanks!

IIRC Vans suggested RTV to attach and seal the static line so your approach would be fine. Only thing I would add would be to support the line near the attachment port in a manner such that the natural bending force of the tubing isn't trying to pull the tube off the rivet. Zip ties to bulkhead serve the purpose in my -4.

I used very small tie wrap from horrible freight tool and supported to bulkhead as mentioned above.

Bird

A leak free connection is important.

The small tube will stretch over the head of the set rivet, though it does take some effort. Once installed, the instructions specify a fillet of RTV be applied around the tube where it butts up against the side skin to help assure a good long term seal and prevent the tube from coming off.

I used very small tie wrap from horrible freight tool and supported to bulkhead as mentioned above.

Bird

An O-ring would provide a better and more even seal. It would also be easier to install back in the tail cone.

Brilliant!

An O-ring would provide a better and more even seal. It would also be easier to install back in the tail cone.
Wow, why didn't I think of that? Don't answer :).

That is the kind of solution I needed, I think. Thanks much!

Remember when putting in static lines, I provided a nice U turn up to the static port and thus created a nice water trap. Bad! Since most do not plug their static Ports it be comes important that the static line does not droop below the port on the inside on the fuselage as it can trap water and possible freeze at higher altitudes or in cold WX.. I cleaned the port and line after modifying them and used JB weld to seal it.
Lesson learned, nothing like flying with a frozen static system

Thanks to aZ_gila!

The O-ring worked perfectly. I selected one from the hardware store which was easy to stretch and with an I.D. small enough to put some pressure on the hose. After which, I RTV'd the heck out of it.

And, of course, I endorse the caution about ensuring that the ports are lower than the tubing so that water will not accumulate. Also, properly supporting the tubing for G-loads and vibration. You do have them on both sides, as well, right?

Newbies: don't be like me; read the plans carefully.:)

Back