What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4? Alum ring source

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Anyone know where to get better quality 4? diameter alum rings. I have the ones from ACS but they are just too soft and deform when riveted. I?d like something a bit thicker.

Anyone know a source online?

Strong

Are these any good? VA187 flanges?

If they are the welded kind I think they use 6061 alum and they are too thin. Wouldn?t be so bad if they weren?t prepunched for AN4 rivets.

Back in 2004 when I was installing my engine, I was unable to find a source for a 4” flange. I ended up making one out of a “slice” of 4” 6061 tube and had it welded to a 6061 sheet.

https://flic.kr/p/PuvKfx

Last edited:
VA-187

I didn't think it was too thin to use on my -10. Can't recall if it was prepunched...I don't think it was.

I can check tomorrow and get a thickness of the material, if you want...

VA-187

I just installed a VA-187 yesterday. It is pre-punch and it is fairly soft. The flange deformed when I riveted it in place.

I'm going from a baffle mounted oil cooler to a firewall mounted cooler, so this is a retro-fit. I was not able to use 2 of the pre-punched holes and had to add couple of holes.

The pre-punched holes are #40 but I enlarged them to use -4 rivets. I was able to get a squeezer on 1 rivet and it came out fine. I had to use a pulled rivet (LP4-4) in one spot and it also worked out well. I had the most deformation on the rivets that I set with gun.

In retrospect, I think I would have been better off using pulled rivets on all the holes.

VA-187

I used 6-32 screws and had no issues...

If you need something heavy duty, you might try mcmaster

Part number 1734K12.

304 SS duct flange...definitely overkill...

Back